Thread: Coming Soon -- No Chick Left Behind (MTB 101) Fall sessions - starts Thursday 9/8/11!

Default Coming Soon -- No Chick Left Behind (MTB 101) Fall sessions - starts Thursday 9/8/11!

It's been requested, so it's time to get everyone back on their saddles. No Chick Left Behind is about to begin! We can do them on Wednesday or Thursday nights, but because FORC group rides are on Wednesday nights, let's pick Thursday for the beginner chick rides. I imagine weekend mornings would also be good, but my weekends through Sept. are already booked. We can start meeting on Saturday mornings in October if there's sufficient interest. My plan is to meet every Thursday night in Sept. (unless of course there is no interest). Great primer for the Taming of the Slough!

When: Thursday, Sept. 8th 5:30 PM
    Where: Sunderbruch Park
    How Long: An hour and a half

You need a mtn bike (a hybrid will not do), helmet and hydration system (water bottle is fine). Don't forget a good attitude and a desire to learn. Ladies, we are going to have FUUUUN! This class is designed for beginners and it is free!!

Here's an old post of what we worked on our first night last Spring -- we will be reviewing all of this on Sept. 8th.

A recap of last night's session:
    • We talked about shifting and then went out and practiced shifting so that everyone got comfortable knowing which shifter on the handlebar controlled what and the direction needed in order to make pedalling more difficult / easier.
    • We talked about braking -- feathering, using a combination of the rear and front brakes, and the goal of NOT skidding which really reduces a rider's ability to control the bike (kind of like a car in a slide situation). We practiced braking going down a hill.
    • We talked about fore and aft positioning on the bike, how your weight distribution on the bike impacts the ability to lift the front / rear wheels depending upon where you place your body, and losing grip with your back wheel when standing to climb a hill (if your weight is too far forward on the bike). We talked about shifting your body position relative to yuor bike when going down and up hills and the impact it has.
    • We talked about pedal position when riding over obstacles (keeping them even), going around corners (keeping the pedal that is on the INSIDE of the turn UP).
    • We talked about getting off the saddle when going through gnarly areas because you have more control of your bike while standing (you aren't an extension of the bike then and the bike can move independent of you).
    • We talked about front wheelies in order to get your front wheel up to go over an obstacle either by keeping your pedals even and pulling up on the handle bars or by pulling up on the handle bars at the same time that you downstroke a pedal.
    • We learned how to go over a log. Key factors were 1) getting your front wheel up to get over the log, 2) being aware of forward momentum and how it continues to propel you and the back wheel over an obstacle) and 3) timing (when to pull the front end up in anticipating of going over an obstacle).
    • We learned about use of momentum and proper gear selection to climb a small hill (hard gear to pedal and get speed BEFORE the hill, then a shift down just before the hill and finally appreciating the momentum that helps to carry you up the hill). We also talked about use of momentum in getting through rough areas... we didn't get to practice this but we will!!!
    • We had fun!

A couple people asked last night about FORC membership. Click http://www.qcforc.org/content.php?120-About-Us for more information and online-access to the membership application form.

I wanna ride!

If there is interest from men, we can make the classes co-ed starting in October... please post up to offer your feedback.
    I wanna ride!

Bexter - You were reading my mind! That would be awesome!

Reminder: The first installment of the Fall No Chicks Left Behind skills sessions begins this Thursday, Sept. 8th at 5:30 PM. Hope to see you at Sunderbruch Park!!
    I wanna ride!

Darn, that's a really inconvenient time for me... I'll stay tuned for updates on October classes! :D
    Bicycle newb.

Quote Originally Posted by mcadagio View Post
    Darn, that's a really inconvenient time for me... I'll stay tuned for updates on October classes! :D
    If you want to go riding at another time, post it up. Lots of great people in the club. I'll ride with you if I'm available. Hope to see you on the trail. If not soon, then October!!
    I wanna ride!

I'll be there tonight with a new friend who wants to learn too (maybe even 2!) Woohoo! Thanks for coaching Bex!

I agree with adding co-ed sessions.....I'll bring someone if they materialize! I'll be at the last tune-up tonight, but I look forward to riding with y'all in the coming weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by Michellefiveo View Post
    I agree with adding co-ed sessions....
    The No ONE Left Behind rides are known as pink sock rides. Fun story. Will share it with the group once we start in October.
    I wanna ride!

We had a nice turnout last night with several people I'd never met or seen riding the trails before. That is good stuff!! Next week's NCLB ride (Thursday, 9/15/11) will be at Sco Co Pa, leaving Pride Lake parking lot at 5:30 PM. I will make a new post shortly...
    I wanna ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Bexter View Post
    We had a nice turnout last night with several people I'd never met or seen riding the trails before. That is good stuff!! Next week's NCLB ride (Thursday, 9/15/11) will be at Sco Co Pa, leaving Pride Lake parking lot at 5:30 PM. I will make a new post shortly...
    Change of plans for this Thusday... I will be later than normal on Thursday and no way will I be able to get out to Sco Co Pa by 5:30. Let's swap this Thursday's Sco Co pa with next Thursday's Sylvan Island.

Thursday 9/15/11 5:30 Sylvan Island
    Thursday 9/22/11 5:30 Scott County Park
    I wanna ride!