Frozen Fat Fondo Fest [4xF]
Saturday February 6, 2016
Credit Island Park - Davenport, IA
Rain or Shine, Snow or Slime
2015 solo mens winner threw down 9 laps in 3hrs.
- Each member of a 3 person relay must register separately, selecting the "Relay Rider" option.
- Online registration is now open! Click here to get started.
- Early bird registration (until Jan. 17th): $15
- Online registration (after Jan. 17th): $20
- Day-of event registration: $25
- Online registration closes Thursday Feb. 4th @ 10 pm CST.
- Packet pickup and day-of event registration is 9:00 am - 10:30 am. Arrive early.
- Rain date is Saturday, February 6, 2016. Yep.
- Fondo “shotgun” mass start is 11:00am.
- Fondo participants are NOT required to purchase/possess a valid USA Cycling rider license. (see FAQ for further details)
- Beverage donations accepted for post event shenanigans (see below).
- 8:00 am - Ccourse pre-riding opens
- 9:00 am - 10:30 am - Packet Pickup and day-of event registration
- 10:45 am - Fondo Riders meeting (mandatory)
- 11:00 am - 2:00 pm - Fondo Fatbike Challenge
- 12:00 pm - Hot Chow sales begin
- 2:30 pm - Fondo Awards
- 3:00 pm - 6:00 pm - FFFFestival Shenanigans. Music, Food, Bonfire, Consumption.
- 6:01pm - ??? - Night stompin’ (bring yo' lights). Consumption. Tall Tales. Short Lies.
Stick around for the post race shenanigans.
No course maps will be available, but feel free to pre-ride the course after 8:00 am the morning of the event.
There is a 20 yard dismount lane by the lap count check station. Dismount prior to crossing the line, ensure your Bib number has been counted, and get on after the mount line. Those breaking the rules ride a penalty loop; no whining. Team relay exchanges must be conducted via a physical touch between team members. Or they get a penalty loop; no whining.
- 3:00 pm - Fat & Slow Duel
- 3:30 pm - Wheelie Contest
- 4:00 pm - Skidmark Slalom
- 4:30 pm - Shenanigan Awards
- 4:30 pm - Consumption, Music, Food, Bonfire, Night Stompin' and more!
Volunteers make this shindig happen.
The raffle last year got a little crazy.
Fondo is short for "Gran Fondo" which is usually a challenging long distance race like event were individuals are timed. There are numerous cross country skiing, running, and road biking Gran Fondo events held throughout the US each year. An after party is also common. The 4xF is our attempt at pigeonholing this event format to fit fatbikes and off-road riding.
Do I need to buy the USAC 1 day or annual license to ride your Fondo?
No. A 1 day or annual license is not required to participate. Per USAC Chapter 10: "10A1. Gran Fondo events are timed events open to all riders." Riders that hold a valid USAC license will receive preferential staging at the start in accordance with USAC rules. Watch out and make sure you uncheck the optional 1-day license USAC automatically selects for you (sneaky sneaky) when you try to register through their website.
Will it be cold?
Yes. It's February in the Midwest. Dress appropriately.
- Winter Fat-bike Race Gets Dirty with Warmer Temps - QC Dispatch/Argus
- Fat-tire Bikers Dig in on Credit Island - QC TImes
- Bicyclists Take on Endurance Race on Unusually Warm February Day - WQAD
- The Cities with Jim Mertens Interviews Len & Kings about the Fondo - Youtube
- Davenport Cycling Group to Host Off-road, Fat Tire Race and Festival - Little Village