View Poll Results: Should mountain bikes be allowed in Wilderness areas?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • I support the IMBA position on MTBs in wilderness

0 0%
  • I support the STC position on MTBs in wilderness

10 100.00%
  • I don't know enough to have a position

0 0%
  • I don't have an opinion

0 0%
  • Other (please share in post)

0 0%

Thread: Midwesterners Thoughts on MTBs and Wilderness?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Default Midwesterners Thoughts on MTBs and Wilderness?

If you haven't heard, there is currently a schism within the greater MTB community on how to address national level policy regarding mountain bikes in Wilderness areas. This was triggered by the recent Idaho Boulder-White Clouds Wilderness designation which resulted in the closure (to bikes) of many miles of backcountry alpine singletrack. There have been other instances where large amounts of trail have been lost to MTBers by wilderness designation and even proposed wilderness areas. It is expected more trails will be lost over time unless significant change happens at the federal level. IMBA has recently released statements reaffirming their commitment to the current status quo and will not support groups, like the Sustainable Trails Coalition, wanting to legally challenge a 1984 Forest Service decision that ultimately excluded bikes from wilderness areas. The original 1964 Wilderness act did not explicitly ban bike access and many argue mountain bikes would have been included along with other non-motorized forms of recreation had they existed when the law was drafted. Some of the murky history can be found here.

There have been recent polls which show a vast majority of the MTB respondents, 96%, support opening some Wilderness trails to mountain biking (as the STC proposes).

As someone from the Midwest, where the threat of trail loss by wilderness designation isn't a problem, what are you're thoughts on this issue? I know there are many of us who travel West and East to ride epic trails which may one day be affected.

National Level Positions on Bikes in Wilderness Areas:
    IMBA: Exclude bikes from wilderness areas but work with involved parties for alternate land designations and buffer zones to save existing trail access.
    Sustainable Trails Coalition: Allow bike access in wilderness areas on a case by case basis.
    Last edited by DH001; 02-25-2016 at 09:48 PM.