Thread: IMBA Chapter Program, is it right for FORC?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I've ridden longer than I've been with FORC, and joined to support the local group that works so hard to open and maintain the trail systems I've ridden for awhile now. As a newbie member, I know it takes a lot more effort to keep this organization up and running than I see from the outside looking in. Even after perusing the IMBA information above, it's difficult to tell just how it would effect me as both a rider, and small-time member of FORC.

In essence, I personally would refrain from adding any input, without seeing some transparent discussion from those who it would effect the most. From what I did manage to take in, if joining IMBA freed even one board member to help organize additional group events and activities, as a rider I would be more than grateful.

My eyes are burned out from reading and writing code all day as it is. Trying to read and interpret the lawyer-speak presented to us above is quite a chore and could be why there is such a lack of responses.

Perhaps if we could get 3 pro one-liners and 3 con one-liners from the board it would make it easier for us to take a solid position on this decision.

Edit: Just re-read the 3rd post by ew, being the change to how payment is made. I guess I'm trying to figure out why the people who do all the trail building and maintenance only get 40% of the membership fees. Are the services that IMBA will provide really worth that much? Now if they plan to help the club with design and construction of new sustainable trails in the area then I can easily understand them getting 60%. I was going to make an analogy between the govt and IMBA but don't want to start a political flame war...
    Last edited by dgw2jr; 10-17-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    Edit: Just re-read the 3rd post by ew, being the change to how payment is made. I guess I'm trying to figure out why the people who do all the trail building and maintenance only get 40% of the membership fees. Are the services that IMBA will provide really worth that much? Now if they plan to help the club with design and construction of new sustainable trails in the area then I can easily understand them getting 60%. I was going to make an analogy between the govt and IMBA but don't want to start a political flame war...
    There's SO much more to the program than membership fees. And, trust me, current membership fees are not paying to build or maintain trails.

Chapter gives the club a stronger position to do bigger things - grant applications, land requests, partnerships with local, regional, and national organizations to put on events, build trails, etc.

Going Chapter is about believing this club can do something bigger than we've ever done for MTB and our community in general, and then doing something about it. Bike parks, Epic trail systems, etc....

Where do you see this club in 2 years? 5 years? 10 years?

As I've said numerous times before, this is about a vision and making that vision a reality. I'm 100% for it.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Board Position
    President

I believe I mentioned that we could apply for own 501(c)3 stats which would eliminate the need to use IMBA's . Please tell me more of the plus to this JB, I'm looking for more pros before I vote. Most of the pros Tigris99 posted I do not see as relative enough to mention. I will find it hard to believe IMBA will bring any national event to this area let alone step up and save one of our small trail systems. I would be way different if there was acres and acres of BLM land that we are trying to access.

I am still listening. I have not dismiss this yet.
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by AG View Post
    I will find it hard to believe IMBA will bring any national event to this area let alone step up and save one of our small trail systems. I would be way different if there was acres and acres of BLM land that we are trying to access.
    That is an excellent point. Everyone has aspirations to grow and succeed but the problem with growth is that you need room to grow. I just don't see where we could possibly expand around here. There are a handful of state parks/forest preserves in the area but they are small, the terrain is wonky and sensitive, and then there is the problem with shared systems. Anywhere we go, surely the equestrians will follow or they are already there, and IMBA might have our back to keep it bike/hike but in this region of the country horses have priority.

We could build new trails at our existing systems but at some point they will be maxed out. We don't want all the trail systems to look like Sylvan. The other systems environmentally couldn't handle it anyway and the land managers would simply think it ridiculous (if it were me). Our trails are great but we're never going to have a Levis/Copper Harbor/Cuyuna trail system around here. I'm not being a pessimist or a hater, just trying to be realistic about what we are truly capable of achieving.

Even if there wasn't a decision like this being made right now, I would like to know what the clubs 1/5/10 year plans are. How many members do we really want to have? The theoretical maximum would be the entire population of the QC metro area, not possible I know due to prevalent laziness, disease, or just plain lack of interest, but I'm trying to stress the importance of limitations. Has anyone done an analysis of our trail systems total rider capacity? So many questions... Sorry for the ramble

Quote Originally Posted by Bulette View Post
    I've ridden longer than I've been with FORC, and joined to support the local group that works so hard to open and maintain the trail systems I've ridden for awhile now. As a newbie member, I know it takes a lot more effort to keep this organization up and running than I see from the outside looking in. Even after perusing the IMBA information above, it's difficult to tell just how it would effect me as both a rider, and small-time member of FORC.

In essence, I personally would refrain from adding any input, without seeing some transparent discussion from those who it would effect the most. From what I did manage to take in, if joining IMBA freed even one board member to help organize additional group events and activities, as a rider I would be more than grateful.
    This is an awesome and very well thought out response. Thank you very much for providing your input!

I have yet to interject my personal stance on the issue within this thread; I believe my position is pretty well known. However, I *greatly* appreciate the fact that you understand and appreciate the fact that those involved in this excellent club do a ton of work behind the scenes.

It can be difficult at times for me to articulate how important I feel this step is for our club, as Steward of Sunderbruch Park. There are bigger and better things on the horizon and they're right there for the taking if this club wishes to.

I am however, simply one person with one opinion.

Once again, thanks for your response!
    Last edited by jimithng23; 10-18-2012 at 09:59 AM.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."