Thread: Bike Help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by SSS View Post
    So does anyone have any opinions, advise, or whatever else on waht brand or specific bike would be a good entry level bike? I would like to stay under 1000 for a hardtail bike. Thanks
    The replies you've received are spot on...hopefully I can add to that pertaining to brands and type.

Brands are like Chevy vs. Ford - as long as you're in a local bike shop, you're gonna get a decent bike regardless of brand.

Good entry-level 29" hardtail from Specialized:
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...cname=Mountain

A 29" hardtail from Giant:
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/....2/7366/44092/

You can find Specialized at Healthy Habits in Bettendorf and Giant at Bike & Hike in Rock Island. Both shops are knowledgable and very helpful.

I'm in the school that the 29" hardtail may be the best machine for the trails in our area. However, this is nearly as much personal preference as anything so do some research on your own to help you decide what would work best for your son.

Like most have said before me, upgrades with bikes are nearly endless - in possibilities and cost - so spending a bit more up front can go a long way.

Good luck and way to make your son's Christmas morning an awesome one!
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

The 26 inch/29inch debate goes on and on. In the spirit of good natured ribbing I'd point out that Lance, Wiens, Endover and Lopes all still ride 26ers, but they're probably riding to fast to know they're not cool.

If your boy likes to do what is becoming "Cross Country Free Ride" (The Old Coot, Dirt Rag December) and he's used to a more compact bike, like a BMX or a dirt jumper, he may feel more comfortable on a 26er right away, although if he tests out a couple of 29ers and they fit his riding style, he should definately consider one.

If the bike isn't a surprise, have him test ride both wheel sizes to see what HE likes best!

Lots of good info on this thread, I hope it helps. Also- Gunchies advice on a fork- Fox or a Reba- there are other good ones but you can't go wrong with these!

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibrato View Post
    The 26 inch/29inch debate goes on and on. In the spirit of good natured ribbing I'd point out that Lance, Wiens, Endover and Lopes all still ride 26ers, but they're probably riding to fast to know they're not cool.
    Wiens is the only one that i know of that rides a 26 hardtail... other then the great Gunchie that is. Most ride a 26er full suspension or 29er hardtail.

If your boy likes to do what is becoming "Cross Country Free Ride" (The Old Coot, Dirt Rag December) and he's used to a more compact bike, like a BMX or a dirt jumper, he may feel more comfortable on a 26er right away, although if he tests out a couple of 29ers and they fit his riding style, he should definately consider one.
    Agreed. The transition from a dirt jumper to a 26 XC would feel the most comfortable for him. I race a 26 hardtail myself so I can't be a hater.

Lots of good info on this thread, I hope it helps. Also- Gunchies advice on a fork- Fox or a Reba- there are other good ones but you can't go wrong with these!
    Yep, lots of great forks on the market, but for most main stream bikes these are the two most popular. Like I said, if the bike has either of these forks then the rest of the components are usually higher end as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Thanks

I just wanted to take the time to thank all that posted and the advise and ideas everyone gave. The reason this club is so great is because of all the great people! Thank you!!!

I agree with everyone and the 29er and 26er debate will go on for some time. I personally ride a 29er and love it. However my son I alos agree what coming from a BMX and dirtjump bike I think feels more comfortable on a 26er. As much as I want to surprise him I think its best to get him to some bike shops and see what he likes. The online deals are good and believe me I like saving some extra $$ but getting a proper fitting bike plus building a relationship with a local LBS plus supporting the local LBS is the right way to go. Again thanks everyone for you opinions and advise I really appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by SSS View Post
    I just wanted to take the time to thank all that posted and the advise and ideas everyone gave. The reason this club is so great is because of all the great people! Thank you!!!

I agree with everyone and the 29er and 26er debate will go on for some time. I personally ride a 29er and love it. However my son I alos agree what coming from a BMX and dirtjump bike I think feels more comfortable on a 26er. As much as I want to surprise him I think its best to get him to some bike shops and see what he likes. The online deals are good and believe me I like saving some extra $$ but getting a proper fitting bike plus building a relationship with a local LBS plus supporting the local LBS is the right way to go. Again thanks everyone for you opinions and advise I really appreciate it
    glad to hear you've got it pretty much figured out.

be sure to post a pic of your boy's new rig when you get it!
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."