Thread: Bike Camping

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Sounds cool, CG, but the link is a little short on details...

How long of a ride- Miles/days?
    When are you going?
    For doods that ain't been bike camping, any links to good articles on what to pack and how to pack lite?
    How much beer can a beer hauler haul, if a beer hauler can haul beer?
    Any place to get beer on the way so's it doesn't have to be hauled the whole way?

Are there trails in the park that we'll be camping at? Stopping to ride any along the way?

The people must know, comrad...

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibrato View Post
    For doods that ain't been bike camping, any links to good articles on what to pack and how to pack lite?
    I don't know what all you'll need, but you should get one of these:

Whatever it is make sure it's cans. Easier to carry in, and ten times easier to carry out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sounds cool, CG, but the link is a little short on details...

How long of a ride- Miles/days?
    When are you going?
    Any place to get beer on the way so's it doesn't have to be hauled the whole way?

Are there trails in the park that we'll be camping at? Stopping to ride any along the way?

The people must know, comrad...
    How long of a ride- Miles/days? about 22 miles from my place. 2 days 1 night...ride. camp/fish/grill, ride/explore, play, etc. ride home. Matsell is hike, bike (some areas not very bike friendly b/c of the sand purposely placed to deter vehicles), or horse access only campsite. It is nestled remotely in the back of the preserve by the river. There is a clearing w/ a couple picnic tables, an outhouse, a couple hitching posts for horses, a trail leading to the river, and a network of double-track trails throughout the preserve.
    http://g.co/maps/7ymfc

When are you going? that's a tough one. right now weekdays would be good or every other wkend. This wkend would work however 30% of rain Sat. Next wkend is no good. Not sure what the weather would hold in two wks. I know one person that wants to go on a Thurs afternoon to Friday, but next Thurs' weather looks crummy then.

For doods that ain't been bike camping, any links to good articles on what to pack and how to pack lite? I don't have any links to share, but u can research if u want. I winged it last time and did good. Pack weather appropriate clothes (I don't usually wear cotton b/c of drying time), one burner stove (but I will have one too if u don't), 1 to 2 person tent for weight reasons (I may be able to get an extra one if someone doesn't have one), extra footwear if u go clipless, utensils, plate, pot, pan, (I have and can share if u don't have), water purification (I have and can share), or 3 liter hydration was enough for me last time w/ stopping in Springville to top-off, temp. appropriate sleeping bag (I have a couple if need), extra tube, fire starter (I have), saw and or axe (I have), extra TP just in case the out-house is out, bag for garbage, any nourishment u need (I took some ramen noodles, polish sausage links to cut up and put in the noodles, Pop-Tarts, coffee, eggs, pancake mix and beer last time), fishing gear if you want to fish in the river (could catch dinner?), Full Suspension bikes aren't great for towing a B.O.B. trailer (learned that one), if you use a trailer - try and get the center of gravity low and the weight balanced, if you use pannier bags - balance them, strap or compression-strap as much as possible (helps minimize movement, wind catching things and helps lower center of gravity), account for waterproofing if/where needed, if possible use a skinnier and knobbyless or micro knobby tire (not a must but helps roll better of paved roads), flag/shiny or reflective things/flashing light to be more visible on paved roads.

How much beer can a beer hauler haul, if a beer hauler can haul beer? as much as you have room, equipment weight capacity, or your legs can handle

Any place to get beer on the way so's it doesn't have to be hauled the whole way? There is a Casey's in Springville...about half way.

Are there trails in the park that we'll be camping at? double-track with some very sandy areas to navigate and other areas that are packed nicely with some beautiful prairies, woods and pine areas.

Stopping to ride any along the way? not really. There is a place in Springville called Shellys that has food and "spirits" and a place little out of the way in Stone City called The General Store Pub.
    Last edited by iLuvTechnical; 04-19-2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: forgot the google map route
    Ya didn't see me do it. Ya can't prove it!