Thread: Tubless Fatbike

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Use a tube to seat the beads. When you let the air out, pay attention to which way the tire is leaning and break the bead on the side that seems to be leaning towards the edge of the rim the most to remove the tube. Doing it this way has made it so I haven't needed a strap to seat the bead the final time.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSVT99 View Post
    Use a tube to seat the beads. When you let the air out, pay attention to which way the tire is leaning and break the bead on the side that seems to be leaning towards the edge of the rim the most to remove the tube. Doing it this way has made it so I haven't needed a strap to seat the bead the final time.
    I did this, had no problems seating the bead.

Surprisingly, converting my fat bike to tubeless was easier than the first time I converted a "regular" mtb wheel set.

1. remove tubes and rim tape

2. wrap gorilla tape around the center channel of the rim, followed by a strip on each side right up to the bead socket

3. poke a hole for the valve stem

4. re-install tubes, set both beads

5. remove tubes, unseating only one bead

6. install Stan's or other tubeless compatible valve stem

7. 4 scoops of Stan's

8. inflate tire, hopefully setting the bead

9. do the Stan's shake

10. drink beer, pound chest, and proclaim "I am man!"

What I should have been more prepared for was being sprayed in the face by the Stan's blowing out of all the pin holes and slashes in my rear tire's sidewall...there's an adult movie reference in there, I'm sure Dirt will find it.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."