Thread: Santa Cruz Engineer on 650B

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Same thing was said by numerous engineers on the 29er, I must have missed your post on that.

...And I say the same thing I always say- 26, 29, 36, 650B, 44 groundhawgs, Ford, Chevy, Dodge... Who gives a fat crap.

If an old fat dood like me can run a decent speed on a rigid w a Larry up front, an Endomorph on the back and flat pedals, then at some point all the hoopla over inconsequintial gear needs to receive the importance it deserves. Zero.

Find a bike that feels right and RIDE IT!!

Although really Chevy's do suck... Government Motors...

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibrato View Post
    Same thing was said by numerous engineers on the 29er, I must have missed your post on that.

...And I say the same thing I always say- 26, 29, 36, 650B, 44 groundhawgs, Ford, Chevy, Dodge... Who gives a fat crap.

If an old fat dood like me can run a decent speed on a rigid w a Larry up front, an Endomorph on the back and flat pedals, then at some point all the hoopla over inconsequintial gear needs to receive the importance it deserves. Zero.

Honestly, this one of the reasons I didn't renew any of my mountain bike magazines. I'm sick of hearing about the tire size controversy. I've raced a 29er hardtail this weekend and it was great, but I doubt I was going to see any difference in time if I had ridden my 26er hardtail other than maybe because I am more familiar with it. My next race bike will be a 29er for sure, but I don't feel like I'm being held back by riding a 26 in the meantime.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibrato View Post

ya, you missed my post on that...I wasn't around the sport when 29ers were being engineered and introduced. However, I thought I owed it to myself to ride one with an open mind. I then thought wow, this feels RIGHT! So, that's what I like to ride and it's what works, for me. I've never said any different other than to the folks that are too closed minded to simply try (try, not buy) something new to see if it works, for them.

you also missed the point of my post - the comedic nature and backhanded slap for all the reasons you mentioned. I just thought all of those reasons would have been assumed and didn't need to be addressed just by the nature of my post as it wasn't intended to be a debate on wheel size, flat pedals, or gear ratios.

Who knows, 650B may end up feeling RIGHT for many folks. Right now, I like to have a little bit of fun with another "standard" being introduced. Kinda like 30-gear drivetrains, 3 trillion different sizes for head tubes, steerers, and headsets, and 17 different axle types. Try building a bike these days, it's beyond ridiculous.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."