Thread: Davenport Dog Park Trails Meeting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Board Position
    Trail Steward - The Dog Park

IMPORTANT UPDATE: I was originally told that the neighborhood meeting, which will be held thursday at 6 pm at 1200 e 46th st, will not be just a Q&A or chance for neighbors to voice their concerns, but that the city will be gauging the overall reaction of the people who show up. If they feel it's positive, they will forward it to the city council, if negative they will reject the proposal!

In other words, if you're available, please attend the meeting! I have it on good authority that there are a few neighbors who are resistant to it for no other reason than it means change, so let's not let the loud few stop a great trail system (like we've seen in the past with other biking proposals). Hope to see you there!

I first contacted FORC earlier this year to find out if anyone in the organization knew the individuals involved with creating an off road bike trail on City owned property without permission. This included cutting down trees and excavating dirt without concern for possible erosion problems or damage to trees by exposing roots. The debris created by cutting down trees was left in place creating an eyesore as well as a hazard and there is a substantial amount of overhead "widow makers" present in the woods. The FORC representative who responded told me the organization was not involved with the creation of this trail, the individual largely responsible for building it was not a member and at this time FORC is not interested in the creation of additional trails as it has enough to do with maintaining existing trails.

As a neighborhood resident I am interested in finding out why FORC now backs the proposal. I disagree with your assessment that my fellow neighbors are merely "resistant to change". For many years the area where the dog park is located was a large open space and without any public notice several years ago the dog park was installed. It has been a welcome addition to the neighborhood. The purpose of the public meeting, as with any public meeting is to determine if this is an appropriate use of the land. As an outdoor enthusiast myself who has hiked the trails on Sylvan Island I would hope the impact of a trail on a neighborhood and any questions residents had would have been taken into consideration before it was built. Questions and concerns residents have concerning the proposed trail system on Marquette Street should be met with similar respect and not disdain.