Thread: Sugar Bottom Closed due to Govt Shutdown

Default Sugar Bottom Closed due to Govt Shutdown

Just received updated information from the Rangers regarding the shutdown: Sugar Bottom is closed to all users - disc golf, hikers, bikers, etc. As the trails are now closed, anyone found on the trails will be subject to a fine. We'll keep you updated on the status as it changes. Enjoy riding your locally managed trails.

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Who will find you riding when the Rangers are all gone? Just kidding.
    Doesn't ride well with Roadies!

Board Position
    President

Good question. Not kidding.
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.

Local PD? Other than that... I got nothing.

As is the case with all Federal facilities, minimal staff is present for security. When talking to the rangers Sunday, they gave the impression it comes from higher up that every gate is to be closed and nobody is allowed beyond the gates. Today the turkey creek frisbee golf course was even closed with cement barriers. They are pretty serious about it, they want people to be pissed so the situation doesn't last long. It's ride at your own risk of getting fined.

Excerpts from what we've posted on fb:

The Rangers enforce the trail closures, not ICORR. That being said, the Rangers have asked us to respect the closed trails status and we intend to do so. Our good working relationship with them has helped the trails continue to be some of the best in the area, and we don't want to jeopardize that. This is a tough situation for all involved. As riders, we can just think of this as a rain closure - at least we're not on unpaid leave. As with other trail closures, please continue to demonstrate the good stewardship that has been shown in the past. Thank you for making the best of a bad deal.

Upset? Take it to your representatives in Washington, don't take it out on the Rangers. They don't like this any more than we do.

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Too much reliance on the Federal government. What can we do to get properties like that under the control of state and/or local municipalities?

Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    Too much reliance on the Federal government. What can we do to get properties like that under the control of state and/or local municipalities?
    It's federal goverment land so there's not much we could do. Just live by what's stated above and everything will be fine over time.

JB
    "I've spent half of my life riding a bike, the other half I wasted!"

Default Alternatives

Seems like a perfect opportunity to visit other locally-managed trails!
    I wanna ride!