Thread: Not in an Iowa cornfield so where?

Default Not in an Iowa cornfield so where?

How far am I gonna have to drive before I can find somewhere to do this.

Pack out my bike for a 2 day/1 night excursion.

I want to go somewhere where I can get on my bike, ride 20-25 miles out on some gravel, b-roads or logging trails, camp over night in the wilderness, not an Iowa cornfield or somewhere I have to worry worry about being shot/arrested/chased off, enjoy some piece and quiet, gaze at some stars while not blinded by city lights and just chill.

Well....where can I go to find this?
    Baller.....

"I'm a beer drinker with a mnt bike problem"

"Problem solved, problem staying solved"

Sparta-Elroy Trail in Wisconsin perhaps? Camping at Wildcat Mountain is nice. It's rail trail gravel if you don't mind that. Some cool pitch black tunnels to ride through. 3 hour drive north of here.

http://www.elroy-sparta-trail.com/trailmap.htm

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/elroysparta/
    Last edited by dgw2jr; 08-22-2013 at 08:53 PM.

Thanks dgw2jr, this looks pretty good. Looks like there would be some section just short of Tunnel #3 where it might be somewhat secluded. I like the history aspect of this as well. Not as secluded as I'd like but only 3 hours away it might have to work. Looks like this could be a pretty good trail to break in a FatBike to snow. :) I dont even have the damn bike yet and I'm already planning a packout trip. :)
    Last edited by Armyballer; 08-22-2013 at 09:01 PM.
    Baller.....

If you can spare another 45 minutes of driving, you can get to Levis Mound/Black River State Forest and be pretty secluded.

Pretty much Wisconsin, Northern Iowa, or Minnesota. Don't even ride a designated trail. Park in a hotel lot, take off on bike, get lost, pull over and sleep, then find your way back.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

I think the Hennepin Canal Trail is the closest thing we have to what you are looking for around here. A few of us did a weekend bike packing trip and camped overnight near Waynte, IL last year (lots of photos of the trip here). Cornfields are a fact of life in IL/IA and unless you are willing to travel 3-4 hours you are going to see them but some of the rural areas to the East of the QC are quiet and dark at night. Southern Illinois has a lot of forested land which might fit your bill. Northern WI and MN (Lake Superior shore areas) if you are looking for something close to true wilderness.

DH001, great info, great photos on your trip...few of those guys were really towing some weight!!
    Baller.....

Bike Overnight Self Supported Touring Ride, Sat Sep 21 - Sun Sep 22, 2013
    Mississippi River Trail, Davenport to Oakville, Iowa and return.

Hosted by Leonard Jefferson

Do you have a touring bike but do not have the time for a long self supported bike tour? Then we have the perfect overnight bike tour for you. We plan on riding the Mississippi river Trail from Downtown Davenport to the Fourth Pumping Station County Park in Oakville, Iowa. The park has a primitive camp ground along the banks of the Mississippi River. The route in 63 miles one way and includes six miles of gravel and some challenging climbs.

If this is the tour for you please contact Leonard Jefferson at (563) 209-7715 or email at jefferslx@msn.com for more information"
    Last edited by QCBKR; 08-23-2013 at 04:40 PM.
    got bikes, will ride!
    Don Collins

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

563-340-3476

Quote Originally Posted by QCBKR View Post
    Bike Overnight Self Supported Touring Ride, Sat Sep 21 - Sun Sep 22, 2013
    Mississippi River Trail, Davenport to Oakville, Iowa and return.

Hosted by Leonard Jefferson

Do you have a touring bike but do not have the time for a long self supported bike tour? Then we have the perfect overnight bike tour for you. We plan on riding the Mississippi river Trail from Downtown Davenport to the Fourth Pumping Station County Park in Oakville, Iowa. The park has a primitive camp ground along the banks of the Mississippi River. The route in 63 miles one way and includes six miles of gravel and some challenging climbs.

If this is the tour for you please contact Leonard Jefferson at (563) 209-7715 or email at jefferslx@msn.com for more information"
    Oh hells yes...I'm in.
    Baller.....