Thread: Which would you recommend?

Default Which would you recommend?

I'm coming with my family from Champaign/Urbana area this weekend. Should be spending Friday night in the Quad City area, most likely Davenport. Here's my question. What area would you recommend if I am going to be able to ride one area, but the wife and son (who hopefully will ride some) are going to be there and entertain themselves while I'm selfishly getting some spinning in? Let's eliminate Sylvan off the list, I've ridden that. I've run the trails at Sunderbruch and REALLY like them, but I'm wondering if it'd be better to do a 'something borrowed, something new' and try out Scopa or Illiniwek. The paved bike trail may keep the family busy for a while at Sunderbruch -- anything similar at Scopa or Illiniwek? From there we're heading up to Mississippi Palisades for a bit of craggin'.

Thanks for any suggestions/thoughts! Geezus, I just looked at the Midwest Flyer, didn't realize you had that many brewpubs. I could really start a brouhaha by asking for a recommendation on that...

Lotsa stuff for the family to do at ScoCoPa, the park is huge. If you ride all the trails out there you'll get around 11 miles in. Good fun.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Camping and the Great bike trail right there at Illiniwek! Hell the Great river bike trail will take you almost all the way to the Palisades, and it's right on RT 84 the road to the Palisades! If you want the best down hills, uphills, and best flowing trails in the QCA spend your time at Illinwek!

JB
    "I've spent half of my life riding a bike, the other half I wasted!"

Well, that didn't seem to clarify matters - guess I'll have to ride 'em all! Thanks for your inputs and suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    The paved bike trail may keep the family busy for a while at Sunderbruch -- anything similar at Scopa or Illiniwek? From there we're heading up to Mississippi Palisades for a bit of craggin'.
    Since you're heading up to the Palisades, I'd suggest you put an Illiniwek notch in your belt on this trip. The Great River bike trail will keep the fam entertained - nice paved path similar to what goes through Sunder - and there are shelters, playgrounds, etc along the path. Send them on a run into Hampton to the "Remember When" ice cream, candy, and sandwich shop. It's right along the river and next to the bike path as well, probably less than a two mile ride from the trails. Come back later this summer when it's hot and hit Scott County Park, the family can cool off in the swimming pool while you explore for a few hours.

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    Since you're heading up to the Palisades, I'd suggest you put an Illiniwek notch in your belt on this trip. The Great River bike trail will keep the fam entertained - nice paved path similar to what goes through Sunder - and there are shelters, playgrounds, etc along the path. Send them on a run into Hampton to the "Remember When" ice cream, candy, and sandwich shop. It's right along the river and next to the bike path as well, probably less than a two mile ride from the trails. Come back later this summer when it's hot and hit Scott County Park, the family can cool off in the swimming pool while you explore for a few hours.

Rg.
    Yep, sounds like the perfect fit.

I don't know guys, I think I'd rather go play at empire park that's along the bike path about 2 miles south of Illiniwek. It's a pretty cool playground. I here all the cool kids play there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunchie View Post
    I don't know guys, I think I'd rather go play at empire park that's along the bike path about 2 miles south of Illiniwek. It's a pretty cool playground. I here all the cool kids play there.
    Isn't that the park with the super creepy clown face thing?

Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    Isn't that the park with the super creepy clown face thing?
    Not that I can remember when I was a kid. Maybe it was added after I was a little older.

Did not manage to hit Illiniwek this run, will have to notch it next time. In order to keep the family brownie points, we hit the zoo, and Sunderbruch just kept naturally in that line. Really like Sunderbruch, with its 'catch your breath and ht another harder section' layout. Allowed the family to hit Farmdale/Comlara lap before heading back out. Not ashamed to admit that some stuff at Blue Mound caught me by surprise - the lack of momentum (for me) hitting some of the planks had me saying 'next time when I'm not alone. Followed that with a chaser of Bent River that night, which hit the spot. Next day we passed by ScoPa on way to Palisades, looked like a lot of potential. Did a few climbs at Palisades when the rain hit. Heading back south and it was dry, so decided to check it out. Met a couple on Mukluks (dgw2jr?) before heading out with son. Very enjoyable flowing ride and got son out for a short easy loop, before checking the rest. Much more moderate ride. I'm no stunt rider, but enjoyed the unmarked expert section with the bridges and gravity drops - not knowing the drops caught me on momentum (I'm starting to realize that saying I didn't have momentum is another way of saying I'm too freakin' slow?) sometimes. Looking forward to making the Fest in June. ps. Rage, hit Bent River on Craig K.'s recommendation, which I believe you guys hit?

Sounds like a good trip, make sure to work in SCP and Illiniwek sometime!
    Yes, Craig and I always end up at Bent River whenever he visits - hard to beat.

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

make sure to work in SCP
    Ah, m'sieur Rage, you need to retake your Evelyn Wood Speed Reading course again. I (we) did hit SCP. Keeping the pace up to get a full lap in because the family was waiting made me realize that a. either my handlebars are quite wide or b. the space between neighboring trees on parts of that trail can be narrow. Still need to come back for Illiniwek, the Mukluk biker's description of the trail bordering steep ravines intrigued me.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Ah, m'sieur Rage, you need to retake your Evelyn Wood Speed Reading course again.
    Drat, you're right. That's what happens when I wait a few days to respond after reading your post. Next time we'll ride there together!

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.