Thread: Best Cylcling websites

Default Best Cylcling websites

Guys,
    Looking into upgrading parts, buy clothing and accesories for my bicycle. Can you guys post some websites you use or prefer?

and stab our favorite LBS in the back...
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

You telling me you never bought stuff online Russ? lol

I usually go to Healthy Habits in Bettendorf. They are the furthest from my house but they have been the most helpful. Also, they can order you stuff and get it here quicker and at roughly the same price as any online dealer. It also helps if you take your bike in so they make sure you get the right part. (Like getting a crankset and not realizing your bottom bracket is too narrow!)

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

I would start w the bike shop closest to your house and if it's cool- build a relationship with them. If you don't feel like you fit in there, try the one next closest.

I don't think there's a bike shop in town I haven't bought stuff from, but I start with the one that's on the way to work- if they don't have/can't get it, then I call some of the cool kids at the other shops to find what I'm looking for.

And yeah- I buy some good deals on good used stuff online, but for new stuff- by the time you include shipping you can usually get pretty much the same deal from the doods that support our trail building efforts by sponsoring events and races- the Local Bike Shop.

Nothing beats them, man!

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

Quote Originally Posted by Vibrato View Post
    doods that support our trail building efforts
    or actually build trails too... Don't hesitate to use FORC membership as leverage too. On a side note, did we ever look into something like a membership card?
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?

Pricepoint, Jensen USA, Greenfish (been down for a while), Performance Bike, Colorado Cyclist, Nashbar, Bluesky.

I check the above mostly to check out what's out there, and what the prices are. I've found that the local bike shops almost always are fairly comparable to most online retailers after shipping is factored in. There have been several things (such as lights), that I was very glad I bought locally and had that local support. Trust me, if you build a good relationship with the local bike shops, they will almost always be right in the neighborhood in pricing!

Besides...they support the building and maintaining of the very trails that give you a reason to have a bike.

Buying clothes, shoes, helmets, etc online sucks. I'm not buying clothes that I can't try on first, way too many variables.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSVT99 View Post
    There have been several things (such as lights), that I was very glad I bought locally and had that local support.
    Oh yea. I bought my Blackburn light at Healthy Habits and the battery wouldn't charge shortly after I got it. Bruce swapped it out without pause. An online store isn't going to care and I can't imagine trying to get resolution. I bought something else from Bike N Hike. Same deal. They swapped it out, no hassle what so evah.

Our LBS are awesome to us and will work with you on price and of course, you get their expertise and experience. They support our functions, they help make things happen in our area. Give 'em a shot.
    I wanna ride!

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Example- Poof needs a light, Cygo Expillion 400 light- Ebay its 124.99 and 7.99 shipping.

LBS, its $139.99. So I can get it from my LBS and talk to the dood and take it into the dark room in back and see how bright it REALLY is, for $7 more?

Pffffft. Done. (And this is his RETAIL price, it doesn't take into account taxes, however, it also doesn't take into account that I have built a relationship with this LBS over the last 5 years, and he's gonna probably cut that price down anyway!)

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Guys,
    I mean no disrespect on LBS but they dont have everything. I just wanted to see whats out there so I can even ask them if I see something different. I was just in Healthy Habits and boughts a bike some pads. I will continue to support locals.

This might be mildly unpopular, but I agree, the local bike shop doesn't have everything, and sometimes, depending on the shop, they come off disinterested. This feels especially true when you want to install it yourself or if you bought your bike from someone else.
    It doesn't help any that the big ones on the iowa side cater more to roadies when it comes to part selection.

I bought my bike from jenson usa and I still think it's cheaper and better than anything I saw locally while I was shopping. Since it's last year's model, it was like 500 off sticker. Jenson has a massive catalog with deep discounts everywhere.

I will also second the notion that healthy habits rocks, however.
    Jamis Dakar XAM I 2010

Why can't all the trails just go downhill?

It doesn't help any that the big ones on the iowa side cater more to roadies when it comes to part selection
    classic example of why Ray was saying to "start" with the bike shop closest to your house. Bike shops are different.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Geoff's Bike and Ski in Iowa City is awesome!