Thread: Looking for a good mechanic

1. Default Looking for a good mechanic

Hello everyone. First, I'd like to introduce myself, my name is Dustin I've been into mountain biking since I was 13 with a Trek Y-3. I'm 23 now and started riding motorcycles when I was 17, which quickly took over as my passion. A bad accident in 2005 left me laid up for 6 months. I got back into mountain biking after my recovery and did it hardcore for a year, sugar bottoms every week, e.t.c. I always liked riding alone and never really seeked anyone out to ride with. Well, I eventually got another motorcycle and an accident about a month ago now has me looking to return to mountain biking. I was rear ended at a red light, an older women mistoke the gas for the brake and rear ended the car behind me which then plowed into me.

I still have the two bikes I bought when I was really into it for that year, a 2004 specialized stumpjumper fsr expert, which I upgraded the wheels, added juicy 7's and race deus handlebars and stem to. As well as a 2007 santa cruz chameleon which is completely xtr'd out with mavic 819's and is just really nice. Anyway, the bikes have not seen much use for the past year and a half and I want to get them back up to par as far as maintaince goes.

I'm planning on sending my forks and rear shock into push, I'm also going to be replacing the brake pads on both and bleeding the brakes. I'm just looking to find a good mechanic to help with some other stuff, like regreasing/lubing headset, bottom bracket, e.t.c. I've never done that or have the tools too. Where does everyone else go to? I'm very uncomfortable about taking anything of mine to anyone to do work and I try and do as much as possible myself for this reason.

I look forward to meeting everyone on here, and having a few brews with and riding this season,

Thanks!

Hey, Dustin, if you're looking for a good mechanic, look no further than the "Fixxer" Jim Ghys at the Trek Store. He's always been great to me and my bike. In fairness, I don't have much experience outside of basic tune-ups with the mechanics at the other LBS, but I haven't had much need for them. Good luck - see you on the trails or in the pub soon.

if your on the illinois side, give Bike -N- Hike in rock island a shot. owners name is steve. he and his son luke are the main mans there. shop has been locally owned/operated since i can remember as a kid. ALWAYS been great to deal with with quick turn around.
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

...and....I'm going to recommend Healthy Habits in Bettendorf. Moon is the best over there, but pretty much everyone knows what's going on!

So...with that out of the way, start with the shop that is closest to you. If they don't work out to your liking, check out another one! None of the shops in the Quad Cities are nessecarily better than the others, but they all have their niche. It also helps that each of them support FORC in some manner!

Here are your 4 choices:

Jerry & Sparky's Cycling & Fitness
    1819 E Locust St
    Davenport, IA 52803
    (563) 324-0270

Trek Store Davenport
    3616 Eastern Ave
    Davenport, IA 52807
    (563) 386-5533

Healthy Habits
    3374 Middle Rd
    Bettendorf, IA 52722
    (563) 332-5145

Bike N Hike
    3913 14th Ave
    Rock Island, IL 61201
    (309) 788-2092
    Last edited by SweetSVT99; 12-13-2008 at 03:20 PM.

Or if you really like working on your own bike maybe it's time to invest in some bike tools. Nashbar.com has a set that won't break the bank and will do the job. You can get all the info on 'how to' on mtbr.com I'm sure.

Somewhere between over the handlebars and the nearest brewpub

Bike shop owners love it when people work on their own bikes. I've advised Bruce at HH to sell bike tools at cost. He could recoup the cost by repairing the repairs in no time:D
    SPLASH
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.