Thread: Manitou R7 MRD '08

Default Manitou R7 MRD '08

There's a 80mm Manitou R7 MRD '08 for $299 down from $699 at Jensonusa.com. Only 2.98 lbs. Anyone have an option on this fork? I'm thinking about picking it up, not sure what to put it on yet though. You think it could handle the 200 lbs of me?

I think that is what John has on his old Cannondale (the fork used to be mine until I upgraded bikes), but he doesn't use that bike for off-road. You are welcome to ride the Cannondale and see what you think of the fork if that will help you make your decision.
    I wanna ride!

I'm pretty sure the R7 replaced the Skareb a couple of years ago, competes with the Rockshox SID in the lightweight XC fork market. I have a Skareb on my Superlight and one on my Dragon, and I've been very pleased with both (especially when compared with an older SID).

But then again, I'm not throwing a couple of Benjamins at them either... I've heard of complaints from, eh, "huskier" riders regarding the Skarebs. Not sure about the R7, but the designs are quite similar. At sub 3lb, it's hard to imagine it not being too flexy for a heavier rider, unless one is mad-smooth-yo!

If I was in the market, I'd pick one up, but I'm just north of a buck-fifty. My two cents.

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    I'm pretty sure the R7 replaced the Skareb a couple of years ago, competes with the Rockshox SID in the lightweight XC fork market. I have a Skareb on my Superlight and one on my Dragon, and I've been very pleased with both (especially when compared with an older SID).

But then again, I'm not throwing a couple of Benjamins at them either... I've heard of complaints from, eh, "huskier" riders regarding the Skarebs. Not sure about the R7, but the designs are quite similar. At sub 3lb, it's hard to imagine it not being too flexy for a heavier rider, unless one is mad-smooth-yo!

If I was in the market, I'd pick one up, but I'm just north of a buck-fifty. My two cents.

Rg.
    what are you trying to say about Gunchie?
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    what are you trying to say about Gunchie?
    I'm pretty sure that was fat joke.

Board Position
    President

I had one on my SASS I thought I was to fat for it. Though it never failed. It seemed to bottem out alot.
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.

Hmmm, 'Huskier' would definitely describe me, but 'smooth'.... um, well, lets say I'm working on that one. I may still try it out, hell for the price if I don't like I can sell it on ebay and damn near make my money back. Of course, if I bought it I'd need a bike frame, build kit, and a Easton wheelset I found on jensenusa thatt is also extremely discounted for $350 and weighs 1590g. So $300 for fork, $350 for wheelset, add a carbon frame and x.0 build kit... ok, this is were I have to ask... Do you think I'm too fat to be building a lightweight hardtail race bike? Don't be shy now, we all know that if I wasn't spending all my time biking I'd be in a field somewhere grazing on grass and mooing. Honest opinions needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunchie View Post
    Do you think I'm too fat to be building a lightweight hardtail race bike?
    Well, it depends on how you're going to ride it. A thrasher? Then it's probably not going to hold up. XC Race? You're probably better with a light HT than FS. The fork has the chance of giving you the most grief, with the wheelset a close second (not sure what the wheels are you're looking at). I think you could ride SPB (keeping your wheels on the ground - no hucking Palos drops...) and be ok.

Besides, if you decide you don't like it, no problem - just build a new one!

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Gunchie, I've been looking at the same components on Jenson for the Homegrown I'm looking to build (which might end up being too small of a frame anyway-another post for another time). Everything I read on mtbr.com etc makes me nervous about this fork for beefy fellas like you and I. There is also a SID Race '08 on Jenson for a few $$ more. If you click on "outlet store" it's listed for $440.

I have questions about a lot of parts. We should start a "Novice fat dudes asking questions about how to build a bike from lean & mean bikers" section. It could keep us busy all Winter long.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    We should start a "Novice fat dudes asking questions about how to build a bike from lean & mean bikers" section. It could keep us busy all Winter long.

i agree.......... we "husky" guys need all the help we can get.
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

Yeah, after really thinking about it I just don't think my riding style (nor weight) is meant for such a light fork and wheelset. I swear I'm going to loss my mind figuring out what I'm going to race next year. The Trance X just isn't going to cut it for sport class.

Well, no sense living at the extremes... the Trance may be a little squishy and heavy for XC racing, but you don't need to go as lightweight as you can. A good hardtail, a decent wheelset, and medium fork (think Reba or Minute-ish), and you'll be good to go.

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Somewhere between over the handlebars and the nearest brewpub

There's no need to fret about being a little "husky" When the "END" comes, the skinny ones always get eaten first.
    SPLASH
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.