Thread: bike computer for christmas

Default bike computer for christmas

So I am asking for a bike computer for christmas but I don't know much about them or the available brands and options. I am not looking for anything fancy. I mostly just want to know trip distance, odometer, and speed. Do you guys have any suggestions? I am looking at the cateye micro wireless but I really haven't looked around enough for a good comparison.

Pete

I have a cateye on my road bike, works good, never had a problem with it and it's easy to use. Not wireless though.

Cateye Enduro 8, hands down. They are cheap and they work great. It's not wireless, but has a thick wire ideal for off-road use. I have a few of these and love them. The one on my trance x has about 960 miles on it and is still going strong, and you know how often/badly I fall! The install is pretty easy too. Mounts well on you're fork and handlebars. That's my $.02 anyway.

I found a Sigma (Germany) that I think is the "cat's-meow" for the $$.
    I got it for under $30 and it has: auto wheel size detect, low battery indicator, backup pre-settings, and can be programed for 2 different wheel sizes!!, has a quick release twist to take w/ me, trip distance (for each ride), total distance, trip time, total time, CLOCK (I use all the time), speed, and avg. speed.

It is NOT wireless.
    Ya didn't see me do it. Ya can't prove it!

Pete,

I have the Garmin 205 navigational, which gives you all of that plus a lot more. You can find them or a decent price and they are pretty durable. They don't require the magnet piece, since its a gps. You can also take it off and use it for other things as well.

Walter

i have a sigma wireless that is very easy to install
    no need to deal with wires
    i think most sigma wired ones can be converted to wireless with a kit
    or install the wired on one bike and wireless on a second bike
    then all you do is move the screen from bike to bike with the easy twist off motion that iluvtechnical refers to

the caveat with the wireless is changing the battery. not that it's hard to do, but my battery died and i have yet to change it!

get a garmin gps with heartrate, cadence, altimeter, mapping, driving directions, satellite tv, karaoke, internet, cell phone, twitter, playstation, bluray...

otherwise get this for $10

Quote Originally Posted by Slim3 View Post
    Pete,

I have the Garmin 205 navigational, which gives you all of that plus a lot more. You can find them or a decent price and they are pretty durable. They don't require the magnet piece, since its a gps. You can also take it off and use it for other things as well.

Walter
    Isn't that for wearing on your wrist? Isn't is like...almost $200 or at least over $100?
    Ya didn't see me do it. Ya can't prove it!

Somewhere between over the handlebars and the nearest brewpub

I'm a big fan of wireless. Due to the fact that I have installed a ton of them and I hate winding the friggin cables. I've used Cateye, Sigma, Garmin, Specialized, Trek......they all work fine, just look for the one with the options you want. Right now I have two bikes with the Cateye wireless and they have worked flawlessly except that they show a slower speed than I know that I am actually going. I am sure that I average 28 mph on the road but the computer does not concur.
    SPLASH
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nope, the 205 is bikemounted. There are I believe four models: 205, 305, 605, 705. Everything above With the 305, 605, & 705 you can get heartrate, elevation change, the whole nine yards. With the 205 its pretty basic. You can map your course and chart it in your pc, or even use the info to race yourself and chart your progress. It also gives you your current elevation, actual ride time, pause time, and other things. The best thing you can find them pretty cheap, as a lot of people are shooting for the 605 and 705. I bought mine off of a guy who had used it 3x and was upgrading to the 705 for like $80.

...it just depends on what you want to use your bike pc for. If that does too much for you, then the CATEYE wireless is pretty good too.

Board Position
    President

Quote Originally Posted by SPLASH View Post
    I'm a big fan of wireless. Due to the fact that I have installed a ton of them and I hate winding the friggin cables. I've used Cateye, Sigma, Garmin, Specialized, Trek......they all work fine, just look for the one with the options you want. Right now I have two bikes with the Cateye wireless and they have worked flawlessly except that they show a slower speed than I know that I am actually going. I am sure that I average 28 mph on the road but the computer does not concur.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Ya I'm sure it's the computer!
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.

Thanks for the advice that helps a lot. I will probably go with the cateye. Lets just hope i don't break it the first time I crash.