Thread: Taming of the Slough

Default Taming of the Slough

Check this out; if you can help volunteer at any of the tune-up sessions or at the race, or want to find a relay partner, etc. Also, Scot & I could use a couple of volunteers on race day for the bike transition. thanks.

http://www.riveraction.org/node/5

Like the Bix and the Bix at 6, River Action is going to do a series of Tune-Ups for Taming of the Slough. As part of that, they will have kayaks and canoes available to try (for free) at each of the Tune-Up dates, and the Sylvan Island trail steward will have a 3 mile course set up at Sylvan Island complete with patrolling by NMBP and trail ambassadors at each of the Tune-Up dates. (They will not have a running course specifically set up, but interested parties can get their running miles in on the bike path).

There will be a party after each of the Tune-Ups with food and drink specials at Bass Street Chop House. Mark your calendars!!!!!

Tune-Up dates:
    8/20/09 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
    8/27/09 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
    9/3/09 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
    9/10/09 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM

Taming of the Slough race date: 9/19/09

For more info, visit: http://www.riveraction.org/node/5
    I wanna ride!

Will they still have a bike section with the rain we just had?

Talked to the trail steward and he said that more than likely given all the rain that all that will be rideable will be the crushed lime path that runs along the perimeter.
    I wanna ride!

What will they do if it rains before the race?

They will more than likely run the race unless the storm was so torrential that it rendered the trails unsafe for participants. Sylvan Island is resillient.
    I wanna ride!

The first Taming practice was a blast, the FORC crew had a fun course set up despite the recent rain and I got to kayak for the first time. I'm in!

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

John Bernard would like pass on a HUGE thanks to the Browns and li'l ole me for helping out at the taming tune ups- everything went great, beer flowed early, and anyone who would like to help out next thursday should show around 5:30 at the Island. BYOB, expect to be done around 7:30ish.

See you there!

-Vibrato

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

9. Default

i'm new to FORC and mountain biking in general. i've been eagerly waiting for these tune-up sessions and it was awesome. first time on sylvan island & i had a great time. just did one lap before i had to get back to kayak but it was awesome. the FORC members were super nice and helpful and i can't wait for more time to ride these next few thursdays and for the race. also my first time kayaking and that was also a lot of fun. thanks to everyone involved with setting these up.

Default taming article

check out the article & pics in Sunday's paper. http://www.qconline.com/archives/qco....php?id=454460

Default What the Hell

Who's idea was it to schedule the Taming on the same day as the Brew Ha Ha!!!!1!1!1!!!1

is there another training run through tonight? i am available as an ambassador if needed.
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

Yes, I talked to the Trail Steward today and River Action IS running the Tune-Up tonight, 6 PM. Because of the recent rain, the Sylvan component may be abbreviated. So, yes, NMBP and trail Ambassadors, if you can make it tonight, see you there (and thank you)! FORCers ROCK! Just sayin'!
    I wanna ride!

Will there be be beer drinking afterward? If so where

Oya!!! Hit the island twice this weekend... just a bit of dampness to keep the dust down.. PERFECT day!! Pray we get the same conditions for race day!