View Poll Results: Would you buy a hitch mount, wheel tray style, 4 place bike rack for $350?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 100.00%
  • No

0 0%

Thread: Homemade bike rack interest

Default Homemade bike rack interest

I'm designing a heavy duty, 4 place, 2" hitch mount, wheel tray style bike rack. I was trying to see if there would be much market interest in a product like that.
    The unit price would be around $350 compared to $700 for the Yakima-Hold Up and Thule-T2 in their 4 bike configurations. So the complete 4 bike rack would cost less than the base 2 bike brand name racks.
    The design would be fully adjustable, but it would not fold up, so it would be focused more for a race team or group ride scenario. However, the low price point would leave it well within the range of the average family that needs a 4 place bike rack. It will be heavy duty construction with aluminum wheel trays and a steel main tube. The current design is dedicated to 4 bikes all the time. I was thinking about including parts to make it convertible to 2 bikes, but it would require maybe 5-10 minutes to changeover.

Please tell me if you would even consider purchasing a bike rack like I described or if you have any other suggestions at all. If there is some interest I may build a couple prototypes to test out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Would definitely be interested, provided it fits 29ers!

Looks very similar to the one that just popped up on CraigsList: http://quadcities.craigslist.org/bik/1302203522.html