Thread: Trail status postings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wow, some first post.

First of all, we very rarely "just don't bother to update the website". Typically when we get word, it is updated within minutes.

Secondly, FORC had NOTHING to do with SCP being closed. No, it wasn't "up to your descretion" when you could ride out there, they just didn't enforce the rule as much as they do now. The conservation board has, for many years, had the same policy about trail closure.

Third: We are well aware that it hasn't rained in a few days. If you look around the forum, you will notice other people (myself included) complaining the trails are close for far too long after rain. Everytime I've ridden out there (a whole 3 times this year...) the trails have been dusty. Remember that trail closure policy I mentioned above? There's your reason...the policy states that the trail system has to be open for all users or they are all closed. Currently, there are some drainage issues keeping the horse trails closed. Hopefully this policy can be amended in the future, but these things take time.

I have personally called out there many times, and have only had one day in which they were slow answering the phones. Also, if you look at our Trail Page for ScoCoPa (http://www.qcforc.org/index.php?opti...d=48&Itemid=57) you will see a link to the Scott County Conservation Website: http://www.scottcountyiowa.com/conservation/

As I'm writing this, I can't help but notice their own website clearly says:
    "
    Bike & Equestrian Trails Are Closed!

Scott County Park mountain bike & equestrian trails are closed. If you would like additional information, please call Scott County Park at (563) 328-3282 ext 1"

So how is this FORC's fault again?

Default It is your fault...

The park wanted nothing to do with a "mountain bike" trail out there, and it was never closed or enforced. Period. It was an equestrian trail, they "tolerated" the bikes and we all got along.

When forc was granted stewardship of the trails, thats when the enforcement began. Previously the only enforcement from rangers was if you crossed the road into the nature trails.

Like it or not, Forc brought about this unfortunate situation. As I said before, it isn't necessarily bad. But it is what it is.

You can't tell me and the others who have riden out there for the past 15-20 years that the trail would be closed today if there was no Forc involvement. Right I understand the rangers decide when its closed. The point is, before you, the rangers didn't give a crap and they certainly wouldn't have closed the trail.

And yes... trails were a mess, horses tore up the hills on wet and dry days. There is no argument there. We cleaned the trail ourselves, we survived.

The high areas of the park were always dry, around the pine trees. There we could always string together a one mile lap for training.

ICORR had a hotline with a daily updated greeting, we knew that the trail message was current. You ignored my point, we have no idea that you are maintaining that on your page. Riders shouldn't have to guess whether you are up to date, figure out how to get ahold of a body at SCP, etc. etc.

Please try to tell me I'm wrong. I grew up on those trails, I made and maintained a lot of them (pre-Forc). My dad and I cut many a fallen tree off those trails for many years.

Ginger

Quote Originally Posted by Jones View Post
    The park wanted nothing to do with a "mountain bike" trail out there, and it was never closed or enforced. Period. It was an equestrian trail, they "tolerated" the bikes and we all got along.

When forc was granted stewardship of the trails, thats when the enforcement began. Previously the only enforcement from rangers was if you crossed the road into the nature trails.

Like it or not, Forc brought about this unfortunate situation. As I said before, it isn't necessarily bad. But it is what it is.

You can't tell me and the others who have riden out there for the past 15-20 years that the trail would be closed today if there was no Forc involvement. Right I understand the rangers decide when its closed. The point is, before you, the rangers didn't give a crap and they certainly wouldn't have closed the trail.

And yes... trails were a mess, horses tore up the hills on wet and dry days. There is no argument there. We cleaned the trail ourselves, we survived.

The high areas of the park were always dry, around the pine trees. There we could always string together a one mile lap for training.

ICORR had a hotline with a daily updated greeting, we knew that the trail message was current. You ignored my point, we have no idea that you are maintaining that on your page. Riders shouldn't have to guess whether you are up to date, figure out how to get ahold of a body at SCP, etc. etc.

Please try to tell me I'm wrong. I grew up on those trails, I made and maintained a lot of them (pre-Forc). My dad and I cut many a fallen tree off those trails for many years.

Ginger
    I'm glad that you and you dad were working on and riding illegal rogue trail, nice work. I'm not sure I would admit that in a public forum.

I didn't ignore your "point". If you visit the page, you clearly see that it gets changed. Since we don't make the call out there, we certainly cannot guarantee it is always accurate. Hence the reason why there is a number and a website for people to verify before going out there.

I gave you the facts as I see them, the Steward has contributed. This thread is done.

Board Position
    President

Before this gets out of hand, I just got off the phone with the park manager. As we have said in the past, one of the main problems for keeping the trails closed so long is due to issues with the horse trails. They are currently tiling and rerouting most of the bad spots this week. This will no doubt help open trails faster after big rains. In the recent week they had a 3" rain Friday and another 1" rain this Tuesday. I don't know of any trail system that can handle that much rain and be open in less than 2 days.
    Up until FORC, Park policy stated that "There is no single track at SCP". So what that means, If anyone was caught on single track trails they could be subject to fines or removal from the park. This was one 40 year old policy that I am proud to say I had a hand in changing. There is no doubt a long learning curve that both the Park and FORC have been working on since FORC gained access to the Park.
    Since FORC started out there as pre our agreement we have worked with the rangers and Conservation Board to create a (currently) 7 mile, no horse single track trail system, with another 2 mile loop well under way. The over all plan is to have 12 to 15 miles in that section alone. Where else can you go in the Quad Cities for that kind of ride?

SO if you want to go back to the days with a "1 mile loop" I have to say I just don't understand...

I have said in the past be patient. Now that the Rangers and the Conservation Board have given us there blessing and with the new policies in place (and some still being changed), SCP will be the best place to ride with in 6 or more hours of the QC.

Your Scott County Park Trail Steward, Aaron
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.