Thread: SS: What's your ratio for SBP?

Default SS: What's your ratio for SBP?

In all the years I've been riding SBP (since July 27, 2009) I've run 32:20 on my 26'' Surly 1x1. During last night's ride I noticed from their cadance the other SS riders had much higher gearing.

Here's the difference I noticed: I always lost them on descents but caught up on climbs. Now, part of this may be that guys like Rage may have ridden SBP once or twice more than I and with a little more experience I'll know better when to let go of the brakes and won't lose people on descents like I was.

In the twin cities I'd usually ride a 32:16 or 32:18 depending on the trail and my own personal physical condition. I've been rocking the 20t cog lately because the little trail I've been building in Wells, MN seems to demand it. Next time I may try an 18t but that 20t sure was nice on those climbs coming out of L.T.

Now, being this is the Internet, I'll end with some flame bait to get the conversation going: I'm smart and sexy 'cause I use 32:20 and the rest of you with different gearings are stupid.

Discuss.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Board Position
    President

I like gears...
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.

I run 32:18 on my 29er and 33:16 on 26er.

Last night I was riding 32:18 with my 29" wheels, roughly equivalent to a 32:16 ratio on a 26" bike. If I'm feeling froggy I'll throw on my 16 tooth and suffer my way up LT.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Sunderbruch

Last night I was running 34:18 on a 29er. It's a little tough when multiple laps of LT are involved but very fast otherwise.

Yeah, I figured you guys were all running pretty tall ratios. I keep going back-and-forth every season, during the season between grunting vs. spinning it out. Almost seems like I need to switch it up every now and then or I get "stale" somehow.

By that I mean I'll feel like I'm not riding as fast as I could be in, say, 32:16 so I'll switch to 32:18 and suddenly my times improve. After a couple months I'll feel slow at 32:18, switch it back to 32:16 and I'm faster again. Odd.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevize1138 View Post
    ... I'll feel like I'm not riding as fast as I could be in, say, 32:16 so I'll switch to 32:18 and suddenly my times improve. After a couple months I'll feel slow at 32:18, switch it back to 32:16 and I'm faster again.
    Keep that up and you'll be Mad-Fast, YO!

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.