Thread: Wood Berm Repair & Upgrade Progress

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Default Wood Berm Repair & Upgrade Progress

We're getting nearer to finishing repairs to the #3 berm on the South Down trail. Goal being to have it rideable by the Abermination MTB Race on 5/4.

The wooden decking is being replaced with expanded metal grating for longevity. The metal riding surface will consist of ten bolt together panels and attach to the existing wooden structure.

We finished bending and cutting out the various pieces needed for assembly Sat. and are currently welding them together into panel assemblies. We were able to assemble one simple curve panel as a test without major issues. The remaining panels have complex curves and may be more challenging.

Currently creating a welding fixture for the remaining nine panels to speed up assembly. The time consuming part of this process will be welding out each panel since there are +100 small welds needed to attach the expanded metal to the frames. Focus will be on tacking panels together and then finish welding.

If anyone wants to help with the final welding of these panel sections and has their own welder & necessary metalworking gear let me know and we can make arrangements.

Simple Curve Test Panel | Weld Detail

All Panel Sections Assembled | Complex Curve Panel Weld Fixture
    ⚒ Trails don't build themselves. ⚒

I got a small 110 welder with gas bottle with gloves, helmet, and jacket. Is this something I need to bring equipment over.

Board Position

If you want to pick up a panel and take it with you that would probably work best. Don't have one fully assembled yet, but will let you know when one is ready. I'm using flux-core wire in my welder. Not too concerned with cosmetic welds; just need to be strong and numerous.

Sound's good let me know when you want me to pick up some items and I can get them back here and weld some up.

Board Position

Planning to install finished panels on Friday afternoon starting at 4pm. Have 4 assembled and waiting for weld out which may already be claimed.

Pre Assembled Complex Curve Panels | Test Fitting

I can also help with welding if needed. Could pick up panels today or Wednesday. Truck is down for maintenance tomorrow.

Board Position

Great! Should have 2 more panels ready to go for pickup tomorrow.

Board Position

7 of 10 panels are assembled and vouched for final welding. Should be able to get the rest tacked together by tomorrow. May start install Thursday evening after 5:30pm to be safe given we have enough panels back.

I may be able to help. I do not have a truck but I do have a 110/220 mig welder with gas, angle grinder and ppe with nowhere to hook it up. I live in an apartment and they don't take kindly to me welding in the kitchen. I would have to get a new roll of wire, and probably some tips. This has all been sitting for a few years. If you need some last minute help, and have some spare electricity, I have a few extra hours this week.

Board Position

Bryan, thanks for the offer but I think we're good at the moment. There is one panel left to assemble and it has been claimed for final welding. Will let you know if anything changes.

Weather is looking wet for Thursday so sticking to install on Friday. I'm taking Fri afternoon off and will be out mid afternoon (2ish?) to start. There are a few small drainage issues that would be good to take care of on the Upper South Loop if we have enough people (I'll have dirt moving tools). Battery powered drill/impacts, metal drill bits, & battery angle grinders will be useful for berm metal install. Will need to drill holes in metal frames for mounting panels.

What size drill bits are needed for the metal frame drilling?

Board Position

Frame bolts are 3/8" so a little larger bit (7/16") for the holes to take care of any misalignment and 5/16" for the construction lags. If I have time, may pick up some spares just in case. Step-bits would be ideal if you have a set.

Mesh on all panels has been fully welded and 4 panels need a few brackets welded on. Will get that taken care of tomorrow morning. Otherwise everything is ready to go for install.

Owen and I should be over shortly after 3pm. Would be sooner but schools not out till 2:30.

Board Position

Thanks again for all the help today! All panels are mounted and the feature is rideable. Heading out at 7am Sat. morning to tie up a few loose ends and raise a section of pavers on the inside of the berm. Had to raise a couple piers for better alignment of the panels which left some gaps along the bottom rail.