Thread: Sunderbruch Questions

Default Sunderbruch Questions

I have a few questions about Sunderbruch as a trail runner (also occasional MTB), one of which I asked in the Sunderbruch forum that went unanswered almost a year ago:

1) As a trail runner / hiker, what is the appropriate way to complete the trail system after hitting the last Blue Mound trail? Kickapoo Down says for ?bikes only? and that makes sense since bikers go down that very fast. Kickapoo Up says for ?uphill only?, or is it appropriate for hikers / runners to go down this as an exit? Or are we just supposed to exit the trails entirely at the top and go down the paved Dan Sherman trail to complete the system if we are running the whole system?

2) Is the website and trail map going to be updated to include the ?No More Kings? double black diamond trail? I see it on Trail Forks, but nothing about it on the website or here in the forums?

3) When the website trail status says ?freeze / thaw? but the physical sign at the trailhead by the parking lot says ?trails closed?, is it still okay to run the trails if it?s below freezing? For example, I ran the entire system with my dog this morning because the website said ?freeze / thaw? and it was 25 degrees and the trails were fine. But the sign outside said trails closed.

Thanks! Even though I have mainly switched from MTB to trail running, I continue to keep my FORC membership active to support the trails.

Travis

It is perfectly fine to run/hike down Kickapoo Up in either direction. If running/hiking take a right out of Blue Mound, continue past Kickapoo Down, then you can either go down Kickapoo Up or exit onto the bike path back to the lot.

We will get around to updating the maps on the website and kiosk but are considering some other re-routes and extensions so we are holding off on the updates. There is new signage made for No More Kings that will be installed when the ground thaws enough to set posts.

The website always trumps the sign. With freeze/thaw conditions we leave the sign closed as we would have to flip it back and forth so often. If the trail bed is solid you are good to go. Please take extra care in the coming weeks as the trail is most sensitive immediately after the winter frost thaws.

Thank you, perfect answers to all of my questions!