Thread: Trail work day??

Default Trail work day??

I am thinking of at least trimming around the trails, and possibly reworking some of the 4th St. upper trail, with goal of widening, and strategic drainage. Figured I’d give it attention before Taming the slough race. Thoughts??

First post, if it goes through!

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Get in touch with the Stephens Steward, Bill, by messaging Bill.specht or email stephens@qcforc.org. I think he usually takes care of most trail maintenance with his crew but would probably appreciate more help. Keeping the trail along 4th St. narrow may be a feature to control user speeds so I would definitely talk with him about that before doing any work.
    ⚒ Trails don't build themselves. ⚒

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Stephen's Park

If you would like to help with string trimming at stephens I have the equipment for that! Dm me for details. Or if you have a string trimmer you can use that. Current Forc membership is required for insurance reasons… correct if I’m wrong. Other than that ,have at it. As for widening and modification of the trail we can chat about that more in depth privately…. Trail design takes drainage into account so things need to be done correctly for the longevity of the trail. And properly designed trails require less maintenance.

As for what drew said. A really wide trail may lead to excessive speed and negative hiker / bicycle conflict. Best to keep speeds down where possible. That being said it is our responsibility as cyclists to always be in control and yield to all other trail users. Be kind and leave no trace! Anyway sorry for the rant. And trail maintenance volunteers are more than welcome.

Thanks for the info! Makes sense to keep it tight, keeps you honest going up and down. ;)

I should be on the membership roster, I’ll definitely get in touch!