Thread: SIS for Dummies (questions)

Default SIS for Dummies (questions)

I started mountain biking late last summer and I'm eager for the new season to start. As an untrained rider, I have been using an indoor bike trainer and Zwift to prepare for the upcoming season, but I still have a long ways to go. I'm somewhat overweight and have an FTP of about 200 right now, so I'm definitely on the lower end of the spectrum in terms of overall comparable fitness.

That said, I'd really like to try the Sylvan Island Stampede, and I have actually ridden the Sylvan Island Lap a number of times last year just for fun (it took me a while to learn the track from the race lap map). I think my best time around it once was about 27 minutes at the end of last season just practicing, and I think the two laps around for the Novice race will be pushing it. This would be my very first race, ever. So I'm not expected to finish high on the list... but I'd like to at least finish, lol.

So I'm asking for any tips, suggestions, etc to help me to decide 1) whether I should enter the race, and 2) if yes, then what to do to prepare, and 3) what to bring with in terms of gear, etc. Is there an FAQ or a helpful guide somewhere for new riders?

Thanks!

Board Position
    Vice President

you should race! novice is right wear you will be. you would be surprised how slow you will be riding the first lap.. so many people on trail in front of you, you wont be able to ride as fast as you might by yourself.. Practice on the island riding two laps when conditions allow.. bike/helmet/gloves/ how much ever water you think you will need for two laps constant riding. Have fun! sylvan is a good first race.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedfororbea View Post
    you should race! novice is right wear you will be. you would be surprised how slow you will be riding the first lap.. so many people on trail in front of you, you wont be able to ride as fast as you might by yourself.. Practice on the island riding two laps when conditions allow.. bike/helmet/gloves/ how much ever water you think you will need for two laps constant riding. Have fun! sylvan is a good first race.
    Ah, that makes sense for the first lap... how is everyone's starting position determined? I will definitely be out practicing soon. Thanks!

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Definitely do the race. Sylvan is a great first race since there are a bunch of spectators and everything is contained in a small area. The 2018 Stampede lap times ranged from 21 to 40 minutes in the Novice men class and the course will be similar this year.

• Ride as much as possible to build fitness (on and/or off road).
    • Do some group rides with people to get used to close proximity trail riding and learn the good lines. Riding with faster people makes you faster.
    • During the race, bring a tube/tire repair kit & pump/CO2 inflator, a bike multitool, and some water. Won't need food for races under 1hr.
    • Eat well the day before the race and rest a couple days prior (no long/strenuous rides). Don't eat a giant breakfast on race day.
    • Make sure your bike is in good working order. MTB races are self supported so if you have a mechanical issue you'll have to fix it yourself with whatever supplies are in your repair kit.
    • Don't make any major changes to bike setup the week of the race.
    • If you think you have a good chance of placing higher up the roster, get to the starting line early and go hard on the initial sprint so you have fewer people to pass when on course.
    Last edited by DH001; 03-20-2021 at 11:15 PM.
    ⚒ Trails don't build themselves. ⚒

Thanks for all the tips. I will definitely be registering for the race!

I've seen and been on Sylvan Island (on foot), but I can't find a map of the actual course for the race. Does anyone have a link to the actual course map?

I'm thinking of registering for the SIS, but I'd like to be able to practice the actual course beforehand.

I've been riding road bikes for years, and have completed a handful of triathlons, but I just got a mountain bike to add some variety to my rides so this would be my first off road event.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim-T View Post
    I've seen and been on Sylvan Island (on foot), but I can't find a map of the actual course for the race. Does anyone have a link to the actual course map?

I'm thinking of registering for the SIS, but I'd like to be able to practice the actual course beforehand.

I've been riding road bikes for years, and have completed a handful of triathlons, but I just got a mountain bike to add some variety to my rides so this would be my first off road event.
    I found the race course map from 2019 on this site and used the map there to practice the course last fall when I began mountain biking. I don't know if the race course this year will be identical or not?

http://imbcs.org/races/2019-races/sy...land-stampede/

Board Position

I think this year's course will be pretty similar to that of 2018. In 2019 it had to be shortened considerably due to major flooding.

Here's a bigger version of the map shown on the IMBCS site:

Thanks!

A few additional questions, if I may, as race day approaches on Sunday:

1) What are the procedures upon arrival at the island on Sunday morning? I'm doing the Novice race, which I believe starts at 9am, but I have no idea what time I should arrive, what I need to do when I get there, or what time the lineup begins for the actual race?

2) I saw something on the Facebook event about the new race map being posted, but I haven't seen anything yet. The event page recommends pre-riding the course, but without an updated map, I can only practice the one from 2018 and hope that it is the same/similar?

3) Is there a link to the race rules?

4) Are spectators allowed this year with Covid-19 and where will they need to be positioned in order to see the racers?

5) As a first-time racer, is there anything else I need to know before arriving Sunday morning? I have practiced the 2018 lap a few times, but I have not had a chance to do a large group ride of any kind, so I'm not sure on etiquette upon race start or when passing / letting others pass?

Thanks!

Board Position

Be ready to line up 10-15 mins before the race, there is a mandatory riders meeting before start. Check in takes 10-15 mins if busy, but usually less than that. Arrival time will vary based on pre-race routine but an hour before the race should give plenty of time. Add another half hour if pre-riding.

Pre-riding can be done the day of race when no races are taking place or Saturday evening. We'll have the course marked Saturday by around 5pm. 2021 course map will be posted Friday but course is still subject to change based on conditions.

USAC rules apply. Link at the bottom of the Stampede race page on this site.

Spectators can go pretty much anywhere on the island as long as they keep clear of the course during races. Spectators should spread out this year for obvious reasons. The island is 36 acres so plenty of space to keep distanced.

Pass when you can. Call out your passes (passing left/right). Let others pass when/where safe; they will tell you.

Thank you. Looks like it’s going to be a wet one, with periods of showers expected all the way through Saturday evening. ��

Board Position
    Event Coordinator / Race Director

I rode last night after yesterday's rain and the course was in great shape! Sylvan can handle the rain since the soil is more rocky and sandy. Looks like just over .25" is expected over the next 3 days.

I hope you’re right... I just saw a post by the QC National Weather Service that shows 1.5 - 2” of rain through Saturday night and very strong winds through Sunday. Might even be raining for the early races Sunday morning, but at least Sunday is going to be the more favorable day! I’ve never been on the trails in the rain before, do most riders use mud guards or do you think this is needed?

Board Position
    Vice President

your gonna have the best race story! put on your mud tires!

Default Tree down

Quote Originally Posted by TravelerTravis View Post
    A few additional questions, if I may, as race day approaches on Sunday:

1) What are the procedures upon arrival at the island on Sunday morning? I'm doing the Novice race, which I believe starts at 9am, but I have no idea what time I should arrive, what I need to do when I get there, or what time the lineup begins for the actual race?

2) I saw something on the Facebook event about the new race map being posted, but I haven't seen anything yet. The event page recommends pre-riding the course, but without an updated map, I can only practice the one from 2018 and hope that it is the same/similar?

3) Is there a link to the race rules?

4) Are spectators allowed this year with Covid-19 and where will they need to be positioned in order to see the racers?

5) As a first-time racer, is there anything else I need to know before arriving Sunday morning? I have practiced the 2018 lap a few times, but I have not had a chance to do a large group ride of any kind, so I'm not sure on etiquette upon race start or when passing / letting others pass?

Thanks!
    Just a quick note, I rode a few laps this morning before the rain and there is a tree down across the trail. it's in the fist half approximately 1 mile in and just east of the wall on the "main" road.

Board Position
    Event Coordinator / Race Director

Yep! Saw it last night. We’ll have that tree cleared before race time...thanks

Board Position

Might want to order an new set of brake pads while you're at it.