I started mountain biking late last summer and I'm eager for the new season to start. As an untrained rider, I have been using an indoor bike trainer and Zwift to prepare for the upcoming season, but I still have a long ways to go. I'm somewhat overweight and have an FTP of about 200 right now, so I'm definitely on the lower end of the spectrum in terms of overall comparable fitness.

That said, I'd really like to try the Sylvan Island Stampede, and I have actually ridden the Sylvan Island Lap a number of times last year just for fun (it took me a while to learn the track from the race lap map). I think my best time around it once was about 27 minutes at the end of last season just practicing, and I think the two laps around for the Novice race will be pushing it. This would be my very first race, ever. So I'm not expected to finish high on the list... but I'd like to at least finish, lol.

So I'm asking for any tips, suggestions, etc to help me to decide 1) whether I should enter the race, and 2) if yes, then what to do to prepare, and 3) what to bring with in terms of gear, etc. Is there an FAQ or a helpful guide somewhere for new riders?

Thanks!