Thread: Which Way?

Board Position
    Secretary

Default Which Way?

It has been my practice to ride Kickapoo Up to the green trails then turn right to follow the green loop to the rest of the park. This morning I had a near collision with someone who was going the other way on Farmdale. I don't know which of us was in the wrong; since I don't have a lot of experience at that park it was likely me. What's the expected direction of travel on the green trails?

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Stephen's Park

I think that trail is technically a two way trail. Correct me if I’m wrong...

Although most people do the typical way, the way you went, it is all a two way trail. With the exception of Kickapoo's...Up and Down.

Most take Kickapoo up, then cross the road and then head to the other trails, finishing back around with Kickapoo down. But maybe thats just me.

Rarely ever see more than one or two other people every time I go.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

I believe taking a right at the top of Kickapoo Up (CCW around the loop) is the intended direction since the signage is oriented to be visible when traveling that way and not visible from the other (CW) direction. I don't think any warnings are posted that the trail is directional or two-way though. Only Kickapoo Up & Down and Jump Line trails are signed as directional.
    ⚒ Trails don't build themselves. ⚒

i have always assumed all trails are both ways unless stated. I also follow the beaten path of right at the top of Kick Up and follow the loop. On Saturday I had two people riding at me on the east Farmdale gate crossing and I had to hit the binders big time on the Kick down drop for a dad walking with his young son and dog. I noticed a lot of skid marks places that would indicate counter flow riding. To me the real moral is keep your head up and eyes down the trail. We have great signage, but inevitably someone is not reading for any number of reasons.

Kick Up & Down, LT, Palos, The Jump Line, & Blue Mound are the trails signed as One-Way for bikes.

When SBP was originally built, it seemed as though most folks rode the system counter-clockwise so many perceive this as being "the" direction for the green loop. There is no specific direction for the non-directional trails, just use caution and your best judgement.
    Last edited by jimithng23; 07-22-2019 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Words are hard
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Board Position
    Secretary

Thanks for all the replies, I will continue my current practice.