Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
this thread is making my mouth water......

In my opinion, it all depends on what your favorite cut of beef is and how you like it cooked. Personally, if I'm going out for a steak I like to go to a place where I can cook it myself, like Northwoods in Bettendorf or The Lodge in Port Byron. I love the atmosphere at these places where everyone can stand around the grill, beer in hand, and all take part in preparing the meal. Plus they have sliced french loaf and buckets of butter...combined with some garlic salt and you've got yourself a tasty appetizer while waiting for the meat to cook!

If I am feeling a bit lazy, or for the most special occasions, I prefer the filet mignon or ribeye at Woodfire Grill in Downtown Davenport. The restaurant has an open floor plan for an inviting and intimate atmosphere. Not quite high scale dining, but you will pay $30+ for the filet mignon (worth every penny if you ask me).

Au Jus in Milan, a recently opened steakhouse, is very good. The head chef from Bud's Skyline Inn in Moline (they make a good steak too) opened this joint up and the guy really knows how to cook a steak. Their salad bar is included with your steak, along with your choice of 2 sides, making the price of the entire dinner very reasonable for the large amount of food you will eat.

....I cannot speak to Steventon's other than what I've heard from friends - all very, very good things - with a pretty high price tag. I've never been inside Sneaky Pete's but I have had their burgers at an event they catered - amazing! Nothing but good things have I heard about Sneaky Pete's as well.

Johnny's Steak House is not for me - I tend to stay away from chain restaurants when it comes to steak...much like many Forc'ers prefer good microbrew....that's not saying that Johnny's doesn't have a good steak. Their parmesan-crusted new york strip with crumbled bleu cheese is pretty dang good, but just not my thing.

I like Texas Roadhouse when with larger groups. More of a light atmosphere, plus Forcers really like to throw peanuts around which always makes for a good time. Add to that some really good ****tails - Long Islands & Marg's - and you've got yourself a pretty entertaining dining experience.

As you can see "just a steak" is not in my vocabulary. Call me pretentious, call me a steak snob, call me whatever you want but I love a great choice cut of beef and the worst thing that can ever happen is having someone you don't trust cook it and ruin the rest of your night....Ideally, I would invite my in-laws to my house and cook our steaks myself.

Hope that helps!
Awsome write-up, thanks