Thread: Trail-Race Prep 2- Wanna help?? Saturday morning 3/31 @ 9 if the weather holds

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Default Trail-Race Prep 2- Wanna help?? Saturday morning 3/31 @ 9 if the weather holds

Length alert! Much to share.

Saturday Morning we'll be out putting more finish touches on the Sylvan trails. The trail map has been posted and many have been riding the route laid out last weekend. If you've been riding, here's a list of things we've discussed that we'd be happy to have you take on:

1. Consider massaging the Corner coming out of the center double track and turning the 180 to go into Brick Yard. This includes getting some dirt on the concrete sticking out at the very top of Bricklyard entrance to help out less tech riders.

2. Massage the Corner right before the big log in the new section before the hog trough. This corner currently defies the laws of physics. it sucks and blows at the same time.

3. Remove the log right after this corner. oo- Or make a wooden roller over it- actul rounded roller not just an up and over? Hmmmm. Please remember- trail builders who have been using chainsaws for 45+ years cannot use them here, and that log is very hard wood.

4. I plan to work on the Holzisterbahn to make it a little more beginner friendly without losing the fun. There was a guy who had access to hardwood who partnered w me putting this in, Mike something maybe? and I have lost his contact. He's a good dood, if anyone knows him have him shoot me a text, please.

5. After the Holzisterbahn trail where you go up the steep bank and 180 on the double track to go back down and to the north- About half way through after you drop down the smaller bank and begin riding to the left, there is a dead tree leaning back toward you on the right side- we HAVE to take this out- it's gonna kill somebody when they hit their head on it. Again- no chainsaws, please.

6. Add dirt or change the rocky drop between the trees before the hog trough- there's a good B line, but this has just gotten weird. there is good weird- but this is bad weird.

7. Massage the hard left turn from the new trail to get onto the hog trough trail. This corner didn't work out as good as we thought it would. Maybe bring the rider onto the old trail earlier? I didn't stop and look at it but this corner isn't great.

8. At the VERY end of the course single track- the last 10 feet of trail where we come back into the start area by the fountain. This last 10 feet is REALLY tight now that we’re running at speed and it’s a bad place to hit a bar end- and you are so close to hammering in the open you’re not focusing on the tight trees. Looking at this in the direction of travel, can we slide the trail before this tight section to the left (North) about 10 feet over, starting maybe 30-40 feet back, to line the trail up better? The trees are big enough that they aren’t really weeds and the roots on the left of the tight section are really nasty, so opening this up may be difficult.

9. On Stonehenge, we need to put in a short section before the 1st steep downhill but after the 5' thick tree right before it. This will be a shortcut for novice riders only so they can enjoy the 1st part of Stonehenge without getting into the tougher new section. This shortcut should go straight/slightly right (South/slightly West) and tie back into the last straightaway heading out of Stonehenge.

10. ???- As you ride, if something is "off" lets talk about it. Most of you have my contact and if you don't, you know someone who does.

If the weather holds- We'd like the trails groomed as much as possible. 10th annual Stampede- 14 years in the making!? Sylvan is impressive and we want everyone who rides this race to go home thinking that Sylvan Island, FORC and Moline Parks exemplifies why they love this sport. Should be an easy goal, because Sylvan, Parks and you- the people in FORC- do exemplify why people love this sport.

Now the bad news:

A benevolent benefactor who LOVES the work you have done on Sylvan but cannot get out to help has donated funds for an after trail work brew. However- Moline parks has made it VRY clear that they do not want alcohol on the island... (patiently waits for comments) I'd like to head off some of your frustration by pointing out that the trail crew is very aware of:

A: all of the cans we pick up from the anglers
    B: the garbage from the druggies over by the powerline tower
    C: the number of piles of disaster we clean up from abandoned homeless camps
    D: the number of male prostitutes that tried to come to Sylvan after the crack down on credit island and how our popular use of the island drove them off
    E: that it is unfair that the group doing much of the hard work to make Sylvan great is having our culture appropriated while being denied the sweet nectar Ben Franklin said proves god loves us- all while the abusing groups do what they want
    F: of all of the people volley balling, playing softball and doing other activities at Parks where people partake of reasonable amounts
    G - Etc Ad nasueum: all of the other hundreds of examples that you can probably come up with.

I get it, think about who you're talking to here. Here's the thing- the reason FORC has 8 parks and 40+ miles of trail in the QC is because we work with land managers right up until the moment we decide not to anymore. (Example- LT) While we build an environment where people are comfortable and feel welcome with their families with alcohol all over the QC, the land manager for Sylvan has made this request and we will honor it. While we won't take alcohol, FORC has no authority to enforce this rule so please do not cause friction with other groups who partake- that is not our role here.

So- trail builders are welcome to meet at Bents in Moline when the work is done and the 1st hearty, delicious brew for each trail builder will be on our benefactor and the trail Steward- Yes, Social Justice Warriors has increased the costs of our building trails. Yes, we will still build- SJW's be dammed!!

-Vibrato

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Board Position
    Vice President

tiny bush tree thing right before the sand trap at the south side needs taken out. clipped my modern style handle bar widths multiple times. maybe I need to go sub 700mm for sylvan

" Moline parks has made it VRY clear that they do not want alcohol on the island..."
    does the parking lot count for refreshments? or does freedom not live there also?

Quote Originally Posted by bleedfororbea View Post
    tiny bush tree thing right before the sand trap at the south side needs taken out. clipped my modern style handle bar widths multiple times. maybe I need to go sub 700mm for sylvan

" Moline parks has made it VRY clear that they do not want alcohol on the island..."
    does the parking lot count for refreshments? or does freedom not live there also?
    I like that the bush works as a choke to make you jump over the root to the right... but it does stick out pretty far. Maybe we can tie it back a little and ride it a few times. If it still catches, remove.

Parking area- I would guess yes. Freedom- we don't own the land, so the rights go to the land owner. Fairness- I think you know where I am on this one.

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Also- I know a lot of people wanted to reduce the large number of short cross connection in the trail. While I don't think we can get rid of all of them, this is something we keep in mind when we are laying out the trails. I just came back and saw at least one course change that was not approved by the steward that removes a section that people worked hard to put in. I don't know if any other trail stewards have this happen as part of race preparation, but I wanted the membership to know that this isn't being done with the stewards or trail crews permission.

-Vibrato

The Holzacksterbahn has now been rebuilt! Mike -the guy with access to wood- read the above post and called me up and we got'er done. Reports are that the new and improved Holzacksterbahn is longer, smoother, rolls better and is a pleasure to ride. Now that this obstacle has been rebuilt, we will be considering whether it can be in the novice/juniors race or if it needs to be routed around for that race only. If you ride novice/junior- go check it out and let us know what you think!! I or Mandy G. (Race Director) will be glad to have your input!

It looks like the freeze/thaw cycle is coming back this week, but the Island seems to be holding up nicely. By afternoons, the trails should be back to good. We'll be watching conditions closer this week as we get closer to the race. From Thursday on- Please keep an eye on the trail open/closed indicator. If we get rain or other weirdness we may ask peeps to hold back on the riding as this close to the race we want to be able to limit some of the short term rutting that happens.

Also- Many other items on the list have been completed. I'll be on the island Friday afternoon (Weather permitting) and we'll be doing race course setup on Saturday if you want to help. Stay tuned to this forum for times and more info as it develops. Weather is playing games with us- but this race happens this Sunday!

-Vibrato

HEY!! Weather permitting, TV and Print media plan to be on the island around 1-1:30 ish Friday hoping to shoot some video and interview a few people. I, Mandy, Forcmeister and others will be around getting race prep started so if you aren't working grab a bike and come on down. I'd like to see new faces on the news!!