Thread: Sylvan Island trail conditions WARNING!!!

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Default Sylvan Island trail conditions WARNING!!!

This is not a test. The emergency trail condition system has been activated due to extreme conditions. The trail condition gauge for Sylvan Island has been welded firmly into the "Awesome" position. Due to the unusual weather patterns, the welds on the needle are failing and at some point in the next 36 hours, we expect the needle will move to "OMG EVEN MORE AWESOMER!!!". You are advised to stock up on beverages and check tire pressures. If you have a fully, you are encouraged to utilize it to the fullest extent. This is the only warning you will receive. We are going off air now- to ride. Take care and we will see you after this emergency has passed.

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

LOL, Ray! Rode there Sunday and plan to be there tonight and Tuesday night after work. Yippie!
    I wanna ride!

I'll be there around 4:30. See y'all there!
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

Board Position
    Vice President

ill be there Tuesday night with my new..... ambo/bike hauler, stocked up snacks and drinks...

DANG IT- after seeing how the warmth and wind dried out the FONDO course, and after walking a good portion yesterday and not seeing much mud- I presumed today and tomorrow would have been awesome. I am hearing I may have jumped the gun a little bit. Live reports indicate some areas of mud are still in play. Apologies!!

I still plan to be there tonight, though.

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Tried to ride this morning around 10, lots of water and mud, might be better by tomorrow but it looked pretty bad today.

JB
    "I've spent half of my life riding a bike, the other half I wasted!"

Thanks JB, I'm gonna hold off until tomorrow instead.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

I'm not sure how, but from Sunday to Monday the trails got much, much muddier. Obviously not what I was expecting. Sorry for anyone who went out- It was pretty nasty. Luckily, Sylvan trails have historically ridden back in with practically zero trail work so hopefully that will be the case if the weather stays warm and dry over the next week. If areas need physical repairs we will be sure to take care of them.

As for today- I am not confident enough to call them good after yesterdays fiasco. I will be out to meet with parks in the early afternoon and will post up. If anyone else gets out please provide updates.

Thanks!! -Vibrato.

Last night was great on a fatty- skinny was ok but less fun. If you can get your fat on before the rain today you'll have a great ride!!

The solid base is exposed in some places (that's good) and still under the couple inches of partly dirtified vegetation that has accumulated over the last few years in other places. Don't confuse the tracks from walkers, dogs, bikes, etc in this "almost dirt" as trail damage. This stuff will be pushed off the hard pack trail bed fairly quickly and the bed will resurface. Riding the last couple days seems to be helping that process and its a good thing.

As always, any real damage requires real labor to correct. If there are any spots that need it after this 1st few months of riding- we'll get after it.

In the next couple weeks, Watch for a list of small projects that we'd like to have done before the race. This isn't trail damage repair so much as it is maintenance we do every year prior to the race to make the trails as good as they can be. When I get it posted, anyone with trail experience should feel free to take them on. Let Krud, Bex or I know you're handling it and go to town. We trust your judgment, its just dirt- it can be massaged to perfect if it's not quite there the 1st time.

The shingle bridge was put in -I'm guessing- 10-12 years ago as a temporary fix the day before a race. Amazing that it is still there but it's about done. I hope to have a new shingle bridge in this weekend. Call me nostalgic, but I don't want a standard ladder bridge. THIS bridge needs to be shingled!! If we don't get it done this weekend- it's Kurt and Megs fault!!

Happy trails!!