Thread: Borah Epic

Question Borah Epic

Just curious if anyone here has ever done the Borah Epic in northern Wisconsin and if so, what their experiences and opinions are of the race.

Thanks!
    Riding faster isn't better. Riding better is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudpuddle View Post
    Just curious if anyone here has ever done the Borah Epic in northern Wisconsin and if so, what their experiences and opinions are of the race.

Thanks!
    Have raced it twice, probably one of the best races I’ve done - well managed, super fun trails, perfect distance. Getting expensive, but much of the money does go to camba who put it to good use. I think around $17k this year, $90k total has been donated.

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

I've done some WORS races & ridden some of the CAMBA trails but can't help but ask, how do you train for the EPIC? Do you self support with gels & food in a camel back?

For a race of this length (~3-1/2 hr) I use a small top tube bag for food, full camelback with water, and a bottle in the cage with electrolytes. This race does have 3 good aid stations, but I don’t use them.

Saddle time is most important training factor.. if you’re gonna race 3-4 hrs, you ought to have some 3-4 hr rides behind your belt, preferably on similar singletrack but that’s not a must. Pretty easy to accomplish that. Longer races start to get more challenging for training...

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Thanks, did you race it on a hardtail? Just wondering how my back will do.

I’ve only ridden that race on full suspension, but it is a good course for a hardtail, sweet trails. Three hours is about my limit for a HT race anymore, but I’m getting old...

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Thanks for the help, I hear ya on getting old!

I raced the Iowa MTB race series marathon events the prior two years and what Rage said is spot on, eat a deece safe breakfast and run a Camelbak full of water and nutrition either in a bottle or in a pocket or bag and try to determine how and what to eat at what time interval but ~ 4 hrs shouldn't be that bad. I would say butt on saddle time is biggest thing, I never rode full race distances before race usually like if I do 75% of distance in practice I know I can full distance. Take a little break for those legs to rest week before you race and otherwise you got it. I have done 4 hr races on hardtail and FS and the FS even if a "less race efficient" bike is gonna keep your mind sane longer to put in more work. Biggest pointer is to not run out of water, I drained a Camelbak one race (still had nutrition and hydration and a trailside can of Coke so not like I would actually die!) but the lack of plain water headcased me so bad... keep it flowing!

Thanks, will see if my old back can take the abuse! I appreciate the advice! Speaking of nutrition, how do you carry food on your top tube? What kind of food do you carry? Gels? Power bars? Leg of lamb?!?
    I'm used to 10-20 mile races where I have one water bottle, 1 electrolyte bottle, & a couple of gels.
    Last edited by Mudpuddle; 08-20-2018 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudpuddle View Post
    Thanks, will see if my old back can take the abuse! I appreciate the advice! Speaking of nutrition, how do you carry food on your top tube? What kind of food do you carry? Gels? Power bars? Leg of lamb?!?
    I'm used to 10-20 mile races where I have one water bottle, 1 electrolyte bottle, & a couple of gels.
    Get a too tube “gas tank” at your local shop. You have to figure out what food works for you... easy to eat, easy to digest stuff. I like fig newtons, breakfast cereal bars, peanut butter & honey/jelly sandwich, gel or two or three, that type of stuff, depends on the length of race. Electrolytes are just as important, salt lick capsules and gateraid stuff. That’s probably more important for longer races than the borah, but it all starts at over 2 or 3 hours...

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.