Thread: Sylvan Island trail Day! Sunday Oct 29th 9:30AM **ITS HAPPENING!!!**

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Kurt and I made it back over to the island last night- WOW!! FORC'ers are hard working volunteers!! We are amazed at the amount of open trails! And the handsaw work- with the exception of a few places- not having chainsaws is being overcome on a scale I thought inconceivable!! Nice work, everyone!!

With the removal of 6-8 more log piles, we will have approximately 2.7 miles of uninterrupted and rideable trails!

I use "Rideable" as a relative term here. 2.7 miles will be open, but the trail bed is still soft and pretty rough. Tires on the trail will correct this and show us where finishing work is needed, so when the bridge opens (hopefully in 3 or 4 weeks) we'll need peeps to ride it in as though it's a brand new trail system. It will get better very quickly when tires start hitting it!

For those who don't know- General Constructors- the bridge builder- came in with a bid MUCH less than the anticipated 1.2 million and provided a timeline that seemed a little optimistic to me and the crew that reviewed the bids. Since then, they have nailed it. If you know of anyone who works for General Constructors, thank'em for a job well done!!

Moline Parks and Public Works continues to be just great- a real pleasure to work with!! They're supportive of FORC generally and the work being done here specifically. Moline citizens and officials should be proud of the Parks and Public Works Department personnel who have helped make the Sylvan Island project move toward success so smoothly!!

I know a lot of people have to work October 10th, but we are hoping to have something on Friday, Veterans Day, due to developing opportunities. For all people who want to help and haven't been able to make it yet, there will be more opportunities over the next 6 weeks both before and after the bridge opens. We want you involved, too! Stay tuned!!
    Last edited by Vibrato; 11-03-2017 at 07:06 AM.

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.