Thread: Geneseo Brewing Co/Geneseo Prairie Trails Tapping Party

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm in if I can get the bike back together in time ball bearings went all over the place. Should have watched a few videos first. Heck, I now know a lot more about how a bicycle works. Win win.

Let me expand some, just because I woke up laughing at what I did last night "Getting the bike ready for nice weather this weekend"...

Hung it up on the garage and was going to clean up the drive chain. That led to removing the rear wheel. Then to the bench, and then the fun began. I evaluated the cassette on the wheel and figured if I remove these two nuts, the cassette will slide right off that shaft. Well, I was wrong - very wrong. Come to find out, companies make a handy little machined tool to fit those splines and take out the locking ring so one doesn't have to even play the "where are all the ball bearings now" game. Needless to say, I had the mind-set it's only a bicycle...can't be that difficult to take apart. Low and behold, the wife hit me at 0230 this morning and said, "Hey - you going to sleep any tonight?". Could not stop reading about bicycle maintenance and the numerous types of crank sets, cassettes, chain rings and how they all are built up and numerous was they're affixed to the bicycle. Think I convinced myself to try out the 1X10 too... What the heck, it'll work right! At some point though, is a 2008 Diamondback Response worth rebuilding or should I just buy a new bike?

My head is spinning and I'm stoked to get back riding more!
    Last edited by Slick8; 04-15-2016 at 10:00 AM.