the "no-brainer" is to make sure you are comfortable on the bike you choose to spend your money on.

if you are looking across the 3 manf's - GF, Giant, Specialized - compare the bikes at equivalent MSRP's and component groups. then, test ride each and whichever "fits" and feels best to you is the one you should buy. all 3 of these manufacturers make great bikes, so either way you go you will have a very nice ride.

take online reviews for what they are worth....if you go to mtbr.com and read reviews on these three manufacturers, you are going to be hard pressed to find negative reviews - think about it: if you dropped $1000+ on a new bike, you would probably think that it was the best thing you've ever had, especially if this is your first MTB with that kind of price tag....that's my point about the online review community - take 'em for what they are worth, learn a few things, and test the bikes out on your own so you can form your own opinion.

....just my $.02

by the way, up until recently the closest Specialized dealer was Geoff's Bike and Ski in Iowa City. In fact, that's where I bought my first "nice" bike. Now we have a Specialized dealer locally at Healthy Habits in Bettendorf. Check em out for a test ride.