Thread: Pump track in Hillsdale, IL

Default Pump track in Hillsdale, IL

I had mentioned something about this earlier in the spring, but I thought it was Hampton, IL. A pump track is being built in Hillsdale, IL, which is 10 miles east of Port Byron. They could use some help in the construction and design. Is there any interest in working on this project?
    Thanks
    Pete
    "Don't consider that you might have had a bad race, consider that you've set the bar sufficiently low that you should have no problem besting yourself." - Aaron Baltins

"It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them." - Ernest Hemingway

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

It would be helpful to have more details about the project before thinking of committing resources:

• Is this a city backed project?
    • Have they earmarked any money for it?
    • What is the size/location of the property?
    • Who would maintain it when built?

The property is Township land, and is being initiated by the chief of police there. As far as township resources, I do not believe that anything has been committed yet, but there are several residents who are working on the project with their own equipment. They are trying to get the town to commit it's front end loader to the project. I don't know the size of the property yet, but have made calls to some people and am waiting for a response.
    "Don't consider that you might have had a bad race, consider that you've set the bar sufficiently low that you should have no problem besting yourself." - Aaron Baltins

"It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them." - Ernest Hemingway

The dimensions of the track are 256 ft long by 90 ft wide. There will be picnic tables and places to park. Paul de Pauwl from bmx raceway in Silvis and the bmx track in Rock Island is involved with the project. They have some fence around part of the track and plan to fence the rest. Dirt has been left there for the track, and some machinery has been offered, such as a skid steer loader.

Board Position

Thanks for the updates Pete and keep them coming. It sounds like they already have some expert help from the BMX community. If they are planning on doing volunteer work days please post dates/times.

Default Volunteer Day 10/10/2014 2pm

There will be a volunteer day this Saturday, 10/10/2014 at the Hillsdale Pump Track site at 2pm. I won't be able to be there this weekend, but the contact person is Gary Wilkey - 309-281-8178. The location is in Hillsdale, past the railroad tracks on Jackson St. There will be an abandoned school on the left side, and there will be pink flags along the road for identification. It is just past the old school on the left side.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/91...f1c9b6c45bec44

They don't have that much direction presently, and could really use some advice on layout and logistics. They do have a laser level for landscaping, and a skid loader. Gary is welcoming any type of help we would be able to provide.

Board Position

Pete, pass along the link to this book to those in charge of the project: Pump Track Nation (paperback or E-book). They absolutely need to get a copy. I have heard it referred to as the pumptrack builder's bible. It covers the basics of site drainage, berm construction, roller spacing, dirt estimates, riding techniques, and much more. It even includes dimensioned drawings for a few built and tested track designs.

I will be out of town this weekend otherwise I would be there to check it out.

We drove by this afternoon and looks like they have a very good start.