Thread: Fatbike

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A couple observations/pointers from a fat bike newb:

1. Offset rear wheels are going the way of the dodo. Plenty of 170mm and 190mm rear hubs are available nowadays, and manufacturers (Surly included) seem to be migrating in that direction.

2. Do you want to (or will you ever want to) run 5" tires? If so, you will need a 190mm rear hub. I've been completely satisfied with 3.8 Nates & 3.8 Knards so far. Seems like the 3.8/4" tires are better suited for trail riding, and the 170mm hubs are easier to find.

3. Rockshox Bluto suspension fork uses a 150mm front hub (instead of 135mm standard). Look for a bike that comes with a 150mm front hub or that is already Bluto equipped if you think you will ever want front suspension.

4. Personally, if I were going to buy a new fat bike right now it would look something like this: 170mm spaced rear end on a hardtail frame (steel or aluminum), don't need clearance for 5" tires. Bluto ready or equipped (150mm front hub w/ suspension corrected geo). 3x10 drivetrain converted to 2x10 with a bash guard for stomping (don't need much more than a 32-36t big ring up front on a fatty, and I use my 22t small ring a lot in the winter). BB7 mechanical brakes.

5. Fat bike don't give a shit. All that matters at the end of the day is that you have fun riding your bike...pick something and ride the wheels off of it.
    Last edited by Vittetoe761; 08-13-2014 at 01:19 PM. Reason: can't count numbers too good