Thread: Trail Status Text Updates

Default Trail Status Text Updates

OK, I have created a method for screenscraping the Forc front page, converting it to an RSS feed, and then texting "Trail Status Change" to my cell phone so I know when trails are open/closed. There are two problems: The first problem is that the front page also shows the forum and other updates, so even though it's techically still telling me when the trail status section changes, other website updates are being tagged as well. The second problem is that the trail statuses themselves are a single frame. So I can't tag it and say "Sunderbruch Closed"/"Illiniwek Open", etc.

Does anyone know if there is another sub-site - like a mobile page - that I can reference? As soon as I get this working, i'll either email out instructions or set it up for those interested.

If there is already a service doing this, please forward it to me (in my embarrassment).

CJ M

Nothing I know of I would love this, sign me up lol.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

This might be helpful: http://www.qcforc.org/trailstatus.php

CJ you are on to something there. Hope you can get this up and running properly.

Quote Originally Posted by DH001 View Post
    That helps. But the code in the status does not allow me to discern between trails. But, it's closer. If you want to be added, just either email me on here, or hit me up on gmail at shiftclick@gmail.com.

Board Position

What would you need to be able to identify the individual trail statuses? I am not very familiar with how scrapers work.

In the meantime, I'll put a dedicated RSS feed on the to do list for the trail status widget since there is interest.

Text updates is something we've tossed around for a while, I'd love to see it happen in an officially FORC supported capacity!

What would you need to be able to identify the individual trail statuses? I am not very familiar with how scrapers work.

In the meantime, I'll put a dedicated RSS feed on the to do list for the trail status widget since there is interest.
    For the scrape to work and identify the trail system, each little box would need to be it's own webpage, or just build in an RSS feed and Feedly can pull from that, and IFTTT.com (If This Then That) can do whatever you want with it (like text, email, post it to Facebook, Twitter, etc). It's very, very powerful (IFTTT.com) and free.

If only we could set it up to sense when people are riding closed trails and send a shock to their groin area every 30 seconds...

Quote Originally Posted by Vittetoe761 View Post
    If only we could set it up to sense when people are riding closed trails and send a shock to their groin area every 30 seconds...
    Ha ha. I'm with you vitt

I'm pretty sure we could make this happen. Is Forc insured for this?

Why insurance, that app is the insurance lol, ensures ppl stay the hell off closed trails

Berminator - Can you just create a separate page, just like this (trailstatus2.php) and make each element in the grid it's own frame? I think I can grab that to make the alerts, update facebook, twitter, etc.

Board Position

Seriously, that probably wouldn't be too hard to do... Excluding the shocking part.

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    Berminator - Can you just create a separate page, just like this (trailstatus2.php) and make each element in the grid it's own frame? I think I can grab that to make the alerts, update facebook, twitter, etc.
    Your link isn't working?

Your link isn't working?[/QUOTE]

Not individually. I can use the link, but it doesn't tell me which trail status has changed probably because of the java.

Board Position

There isn't any java in the trail status app. It is written in php which is invisible to a web browser. All you are seeing on the trailstatus.php page is html with some css styling.

The app can't be split up into multiple pages because of the way it has to be displayed on the homepage. Rewriting it to do that would be about the same amount of work as adding a built in RSS feed. I will try to get the RSS feed implemented soon. If you can figure out a solution in the meantime, go for it.

I was wondering what the current trail status is...right now the post are a couple days old...with all this rain is Illiniwek and Scott still open...

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstorm View Post
    I was wondering what the current trail status is...right now the post are a couple days old...with all this rain is Illiniwek and Scott still open...
    the rain has been spotty all night/day... for instance when I left home at 8am (I live 6 minutes up the hill from SBP) it wasn't raining but just blocks from SBP it rained for 10 minutes.

here in Bettendorf we haven't seen any rain yet today.

I know Drew H. does a bang up job keeping Illiniwek's status very up to date. ScoCoPa is all up to the rangers and HOPEFULLY the rain stays away and tonight's TT can go ahead as planned!
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Thanks for the update...I got almost 2 inches of rain here early this morning...

Board Position

Illiniwek is still open. We got a few sprinkles earlier in the morning but I doubt any of that actually reached the trails through the canopy.

I was there earlier. The trail was wet, but still hard as concrete. There were only a couple spots that were holding water and it was almost dry.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.