Thread: Newbie/No Rider Left Behind Ride #3.3 -- Tuesday, May 20th at 6 PM

Default Newbie/No Rider Left Behind Ride #3.3 -- Tuesday, May 20th at 6 PM

Curious about mountain biking? Join FORC and discover the pure joy of riding single track.

We will discuss bike handling, rider positioning, clearing obstacles, and basic maintenance. We will then go on a “no rider left behind” ride where we’ll stop and examine obstacles, and practice our skills according to your comfort level. Most rides will last about an hour and a half.

Bring a cooler and a sandwich for post-ride camaraderie.

When: 6:00 PM May 20 (weather permitting)
    Where: Sunderbruch Park (West Davenport)

HELMET REQUIRED.

*Please be equipped on the trail with a spare innertube, tire levers, CO2 and/or pump so that you're not stuck in the event that you get a flat tire.
    I wanna ride!

Bexter,
    Is there a minimum participation for this to happen? Also what time do you believe that you will send “it’s a go” considering the weather?

No minimum participation. Heck, we're just out riding our bikes and are happy to do that! When I posted the original message today, Weatherbug showed rain holding off til after 8 PM on Tuesday. Just checking it again, GRRRRR! Now it's moved up to 3ish in the afternoon with an 80% chance of rain, and 90% chance by 4 PM. It's a go unless it rains (and we do our best to communicate the status of the ride in the event that it does get rained out both on this forum as well as Facebook). Hopefully the rain holds off.
    I wanna ride!

PS, I think we need to do a NRLB and picnic on a weekend day at Scott County Park so that people who live further away and can't get to the 6 PM weekday rides can join us (Keith). ScoCoPa is also a great park for newer riders yet is fun for more experienced riders going at a faster pace winding in and out of the trees. The cool part about ScoCoPa is that non-riding family members can come out and enjoy the park, go swimming, etc. and then we all can meet later to enjoy a picnic. Coming to a Sunday near you (once the weather stabilizies a bit more). My thought is to do a NRLB on the North green loop. Then the newer riders can continue if they want, and others can pick up the pace to their preferred speed.
    I wanna ride!

Members only? Just started this year and haven't joined yet. Thanks for info

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I'm not a member yet and went last time. See you there!

Great question! Membership not necessary. We are glad you've found us and we are thrilled that you come out to ride with us. If in the future you find that you like what we have created for mtn biking in the QCA, consider supporting us and become a member.
    I wanna ride!

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Chatting with the Illiniwek ranger a few weeks ago, he asked me if we would be interested in hosting a few mountain biking education events at the park during the summer. Maybe we can add a few more of these rides to the calendar on the weekends to accommodate more people and their families at various locations? The ride and picnic is a great idea and SCP would be a perfect venue.

Also, I plan on being at the ride tonight to help if needed.

I plan on being there as well.

Thanks for the tips and help.

Had a great time riding with Chad Patterson on the expert trails. I've only been doing this for about a month and I definitely gained a lot of confidence especially on LT and will be hitting that regularly until I master it. Happy to be a member and look forward to meeting more like minded folks to share the trails (and beers) with and push myself to new levels. Thanks for organizing these events!

Quote Originally Posted by MattSS View Post
    Had a great time riding with Chad Patterson on the expert trails. I've only been doing this for about a month and I definitely gained a lot of confidence especially on LT and will be hitting that regularly until I master it. Happy to be a member and look forward to meeting more like minded folks to share the trails (and beers) with and push myself to new levels. Thanks for organizing these events!
    Awesome to hear you are enjoying this great sport! Make sure you come out to Illiniwek for the 2nd round of our summer Time Trial series next Thursday.

Ya thnx bex, do need a weekend day working perma-2nds blows lol. Just not the weekend after fathers day, anniversary ill be outta town.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Vittetoe761 View Post
    Awesome to hear you are enjoying this great sport! Make sure youembarrass g to Illiniwek for the 2nd round of our summer Time Trial series next Thursday.
    I've only ridden there twice. I don't even know all the trails there. It would be kind of embarrassing!

Quote Originally Posted by MattSS View Post
    I've only ridden there twice. I don't even know all the trails there. It would be kind of embarrassing!
    No worries, the course is marked and you're only "racing" against yourself!

Man trust me, I've only been around this club a couple seasons, well only my third season on a bike, and these ppl are alot of what made me so addicted. TTS are for fun nothing more. All any of us care is you ride and have fun doing it. TTS are actually "HFDBTT". Have fun, drink beer, time trial. I'm working on making a couple myself and I promise u ill be dead last lol, but have the biggest brush and bug filled smile on my face

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk