Thread: IFP: Garlic Mustard Pull - Sun. 5/18 @ 9am

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Default IFP: Garlic Mustard Pull - Sun. 5/18 @ 9am

Come out Sunday and help us contain the spread of garlic mustard at Illiniwek.

Facebook Event Page: Illiniwek Garlic Mustard Pull Please share this event if you are a FB user!
    Event Poser: Illiniwek Garlic Mustard Pull

Garlic Mustard

Garlic mustard is an invasive weed which kills native wildflowers and vegetation by blocking sunlight and poisoning the soil. It can become the dominant plant spices in an area in as little as 10 years if left unmanaged. Each plant grows up to 4 feet tall, produces hundreds of seeds, and has a strong garlic smell when crushed. It is commonly spread when the tiny seeds stick to shoes and bike tires and are then transported around the property or even to other trail systems.

We are starting at 9:00 am in the north trailhead parking lot with a short briefing on how to identify the plant. Then we will pull and bag garlic mustard along the trails until 11:00 am. It would be a good idea to wear long sleeves and gloves since we may encounter some stinging nettles and poison ivy (we can also help you identify these).

The park ranger will be working along with us so lets show him FORC's commitment to not only building and maintaining trails but also conserving the forests which contain them. Post here if you plan on attending.

Also, if there is enough interest, we will have a group ride around noon. Come out and give back to the trails and then we'll go ride them!

I'll be camping across the street Sat night so I'll be there!!
    Baller.....

"I'm a beer drinker with a mnt bike problem"

"Problem solved, problem staying solved"

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Quote Originally Posted by Armyballer View Post
    I'll be camping across the street Sat night so I'll be there!!
    Nice! See you there.