Thread: Dirtrag mag

Default Dirtrag mag

Hello Jeff,

Thanks for the information, and your compliments!

I have heard of QCFORC, sounds like they do good work.

Is the island-former industrial site you talk about called Sylvan Island? That sounds like exactly the thing I'm looking for.

Would you be able to answer some questions about the park for the article? You've already given some good details, and there's more on the QFORC website, but it's always good to get it straight from someone who rides the trails.

If you don't want to do this, you can always recommend someone else (possibly from QFORC) or just forward this along.
    ---------------
    PARK QUESTIONS:

- Approximately how many miles of trails are in the park?

- What type(s) of trails are there – rocky, flowy, out-n-back or loops, etc.?

- Any distinguishing features or especially cool sections?

- What local group does trail maintenance there? What group(s) got the trails built?

- Can a rider take public transportation (with a mountain bike) to get there?

-----------------

Thanks a lot!

Karen

On Apr 12, 2009, at 12:10 PM, paintthrower9000@aol.com wrote:

To all of you,

Let me start off by saying thanks for the great magazine! I live in Iowa, yes where your corn and bacon comes from, and am new in the sport of mountain biking. I am impressed with your mag for two major reasons, the first being that your reviews are honest and are not always on the only super high end stuff. The second reason I love your mag is because you all seem so down to earth and laid back, other mags seem to be written be suits not guys coverer in dust and dirt from a good ride.

I picked up issue 141 and my local bookstore and you had snippet about urban trails, I would like to tell you about the ones near me. In order to do that I first need to tell you about Qcforc. Forc is a local club that has done an amazing job of building and maintaining several trail systems in the two state area. They have taken what used to be an industrial site on island and turn it into a play ground for bikes. They have worked with local city and county government to get land to build two more trail systems. The trails on the old industrial site are as urban as you can and are on an island in the middle of the Mississippi river. As you ride around the island you ride past large concrete pillars where buildings once stood, you ride over brick rock rail tracks and other signs of industry. They other two trails are much more country like but still within a 15 minuet drive from town. All the trails can been seen at www.qcforc.org

No matter how wonderful the trails they build are the people of Forc are even better. They hold local races, the have mountain bike 101 classes for new riders and ride in local parades. They are great people! I was out for a ride with my youngest girl the other night, she was proudly mounted on her pink big box store bike and I was on my entry level Fisher. We were riding around the island ,her first off road experience and came across guys from Forc, we let them pass and got a big "thank you" in return. As we rode another forc member was out and told my little girl how great of a job she was doing. With a swell of new pride my little girl continued on for almost an hour. Forc people are great and everyone needs to know it. Thanks for taking the time to read this keep up the great mag.

Jeff Leach
    2444 Davenport Ave
    Davenport,Ia 52803

Just wanted to pass this to you guys and gals so that the get the right info.

That's pretty sweet!

Getting props in Dirt Rag Mag would be a nice feather in the FORC'n cap eh :banana:
    "Keep your flesh off the ground"

Pretty neat!!!
    I wanna ride!

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Great letter, Leach- I'm stoked that people like you feel as good about the trails and the club as I do, and getting the props in the Rag- Dooooood!!!

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

5. Default

Props are in order!

Hey, would anyone have a photo or three of Sylvan Island that we could use? You can email me at editor@dirtragmag.com.

Someone from QCFORC may have helped with one of our Ride Guides in the past...

you guys rock.

And just because you have a great collection of smilies, I feel compelled to use one:
    :burnout:

It's comforting to know there are more and more organizations like FORC popping up around the country. :) DirtRag is great because I think it taps right into the new and unique sport of "recreational" mountain biking rather than just mountain bike racing or some other elite niche.

Sounds like you guys have a great organization here and I can't wait to get out on some of the trails next trip down to IA! :banana: