Thread: Matthiessen Mountain Madness May 4th, 2014

Default Matthiessen Mountain Madness May 4th, 2014

Matthiessen is the first stop of the Illinois Homegrown Race Series

Join us as we host our 6th mountain bike race in the Illinois Valley. Matthiessen State Park is a surprisingly hilly and fast course that will provide a great challenge for racers of all abilities with good areas for spectator viewing all in a cozy state park atmosphere. Racers will find Matthiessen to be one of the most promising and varied riding areas in the state; fast flowy single-track punctuated with challenging technical sections, and big climbs will truly test a racer's mettle.

Preregistration is now open for Matthiessen Mountain Madness!
    https://www.usacycling.org/register/2014-818

Let us know if you are going on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/events/395503433920326/

Follow us on Facebook.
    https://www.facebook.com/bikeiv

One of my favorite races of the series, for sure. Love the course and it's very well run. I'll be there again this year.

I really want to go to this, but looking at the weather it isn't gonna happen. As of today only 10% chance of rain on Sat but the days leading up to it look bad. The only other race option is the one at Seven Oaks Resort and that trial is a BEAST, esp if it's wet, I made that mistake last year.
    Baller.....

"I'm a beer drinker with a mnt bike problem"

"Problem solved, problem staying solved"

I feel for these guys... seems they've been fighting poor weather conditions ever since they've been putting this race on.
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Two years ago wasn't too bad...

"Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

Last year turned out awesome when they finally got a nice day...took three tries before that happened though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vittetoe761 View Post
    Last year turned out awesome when they finally got a nice day...took three tries before that happened though.
    I love that course. It's one of my favorites.

This will be my first time riding there! I hope it all works out.

Quote Originally Posted by badfish41 View Post
    Two years ago wasn't too bad...

Dayum!!!

NFC Climb is no joke. Don't forget your granny gear...I was only able to make it 2/3 the way up in my 32x36 gear before dropping down to the 22t ring up front and it was still tough. Brutal climb to end each lap!

Is that the climb that's not featured in the novice race? There's a brutal climb after the creek that I can't ride.

Yeah, I believe it is. That climb is one of the main reasons I was hesitant to go 1x on my race bike

My buddy Josh Klein is looking to go to the race on Sunday. He's looking for someone to ride with him or for someone to ride with. He has room for 2 more bikes. Let me know if anyone is interested. 563-four99-4478
    Experiencing the world through second hand information isn’t enough. If we want authenticity we have to initiate it. We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

Can't wait to test out my new forks

Get out and ride !!

very nice!!
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

IVCA did a great job putting on a fun as heck race! Thanks to all that helped. Its a race that shouldn't be missed.
    Experiencing the world through second hand information isn’t enough. If we want authenticity we have to initiate it. We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

Get out and ride !!