Thread: Chainsaw Safety Class [Sunday March 30th @ 9am]

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Default Chainsaw Safety Class [Sunday March 30th @ 9am]

Fellow FORCer Scott Schnaufer has graciously agreed to host a chainsaw safety class for FORC members. He used to work as a wildlands fire fighter, knows his way around a saw, and is willing to pass on some of the training and knowledge he received while in this position.

What: Chainsaw safety class covering the basics of chainsaw operation for trail work and maintenance related tasks. It will include a few hours of "classroom" instruction followed by in the field chainsaw use to practice learned techniques.

Where: Sunderbruch Park (meet at the pavilion)

When: Sunday March 30th [9:00am - ~2:00pm]

Why: Increase volunteer safety and hazard awareness while operating a chainsaw for trail building and maintenance activities.

What to bring: A chainsaw with fuel, chain/bar lube, and any necessary tools. Protective gear including sawyers chaps, sawyers helmet, hearing & eye protection, and gloves.

Don't have some or all of this stuff? The club has 4 sets of sawyers chaps and helmets that will be available to share. The club does not own chainsaws so you will need to make arrangements with someone who has one. I imagine there will be plenty to go around.

What to wear: Sturdy boots/shoes, pants, long sleeves.

NOTE: This event will not and is not intended to qualify attendees for any professional chainsaw operator certification!

You will need to be a FORC member in good standing to participate due to our insurance requirements. We will have membership applications available the day of the event if you need to renew or join [$20 for individual and $30 for family membership].

If you plan on attending, please RSVP so we can get an approximate headcount. In the event of bad weather, the event will be rescheduled.

I'll be there just to learn. Have nothing of my own but be good to know what im doing in the event my help is needed.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

Putting this back on the radar. May I see a show of hands by interested parties please?
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?

I'll be there
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

I'll be there.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

I plan to attend, thanks.

I plan on being there. I have a set of FORC's chaps and helmet that I will be bringing and I also have two saws so others can use one of 'em.
    Tourist

I plan on being there, I'm getting that "itch" to do some trailwork and my rogue hoe is awfuly lonely in the shed. We had some massive trees fall at Illiniwek this past year so I def want to learn some saw skillz.

I'll be there. Hopefully i can get my saw running.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

I'm gonna be there.

I plan to be there.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Bumping this back to the top of the stack. Please share this event with anyone you think would be interested. The weather is looking good heading into the weekend but keep an eye on this thread and the Facebook page for updates in case it turns sour.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

Please keep in mind the soft conditions, so at least bring footwear that you don't mind muddying a bit. Boots. With general forestry work, some of the biggest hazards are slips, trips, and falls.
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?