Thread: Mountain Biking 101 Skills Clinic and Bike Demos – June 5th and 6th

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default

That's quite a great news. It's very nice . Many thanks for sharing.:banana:

pret auto

Friends of Off-Road Cycling to host Mountain Biking 101 and Bike Demo Days
    Friday and Saturday, June 5 & 6, 2009
    Sunderbruch Park, Davenport, IA

Want to ride faster and more confidently, corner more smoothly, and handle small obstacles while mountain biking? Look no further! Friends of Off-Road Cycling (FORC) is offering a FREE off-road mountain biking skills clinic in June designed with beginner and intermediate riders in mind. Equally exciting is that participants will have an opportunity to ride demo mountain bikes in a real off-road trail setting courtesy of Bike N Hike and FACTORY GIANT.

The Mountain Biking 101 Skills Clinic is open to any mountain biker at least 12 years of age interested in learning more about a variety of aspects of trail riding (known as “mountain biking” in areas where there are actually mountains). Hosted at Davenport’s Sunderbruch Park on Saturday, June 6, 2009, the clinic will begin at 9:00 AM with a short discussion about equipment requirements, safety tips and trail etiquette. We will then break down into groups for the hands-on riding skills clinic.

The clinic will cover topics such as bike setup, body position, standing up while riding, proper braking, pedal position in corners and over obstacles, balance (side to side / fore and aft), proper gear selection, cornering and managing switch-backs, use of momentum, riding narrow bridges, negotiating drop-offs, wheelies over obstacles, and wet weather considerations. Members of the National Mountain Bike Patrol will be present.

All participants must have a mountain bike and helmet to participate in the clinic. Representatives from Bike N Hike in Rock Island will be on hand to assess participant bicycle maintenance and assist in remedying any problems discovered.

Bike N Hike and FACTORY GIANT will be on hand at Sunderbruch Park with demo mountain bikes BOTH Friday night, 06-05-09 (3 - 7 PM), and Saturday, 06-06-09 (10 AM - 3 PM). Take the opportunity to test ride a variety of mountain bikes on natural off-road terrain!

All participants will be provided a packet of information at the end of the lecture about off-road trail riding areas within 3 hours of the QCA. For more information about Mountain Biking 101 or FORC, please visit www.qcforc.org.

Come on out and experience the thrills of mountain biking! The day will wrap up with a group fun ride.

FORC would like to thank all our local bicycle shops for their support and encouragement of the sport of mountain biking. Special thanks goes to City of Davenport, Bike N Hike and FACTORY GIANT for their MTB 101 sponsorship.
    Last edited by Bexter; 05-28-2009 at 06:53 AM.
    I wanna ride!

I've got to come back down to Davenport to return my parent's truck and so Mom can visit with her granddaughter again anyway, so I think I'll have to make it to this event!

The weather forecast says rain today and part of Tuesday, dry Wed, Thursday Friday, rain to start sometime Saturday afternoon. We can live with that if it does in fact need to rain at all. Come on out Friday night to check out our demo bikes and enjoy the Sunderbruch trails. Bring a beginner out Saturday for the 101 clinic.
    Last edited by Bexter; 06-01-2009 at 10:03 AM.
    I wanna ride!