Thread: Nashbar has a fat bike for $1k. Thoughts?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My bad, should have referred my agreement to your statement. But figured my experiences would be helpful in detail since seems some here may not agree with budget methods over lbs only. Don't want anyone shying away from the fun to be had in this club cause they didn't buy from lbs, so now they'll understand its ok, just show what support u can.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tigris99 View Post
    Don't want anyone shying away from the fun to be had in this club cause they didn't buy from lbs, so now they'll understand its ok, just show what support u can.
    Its your money and how you decide to spend it is a very private matter, not to be judged by others.
    Since your question was about low-budget fatties:
    I did a TON of research before Christmas for getting the wife a fat bike.
    Motobecane was a contender, Vittetoe is abusing one now and its holding up as fine as any other fattie.
    The new Minnesota FRAMED fattie looks promising, a small MN business looking to compete w/the Corporate Big Brand Name fatties, and has decent build list w/extra wheelset for the cost.
    I think I recall reading that the Norco Bigfoot weighs in at 42 lbs (hefty even by fattie standards), but unsure if that is true cuz I read it on the 'net.
    The OnOne had potential, but looked to be bit higher price at that time.
    Key Point -- pretty much all of us that own Corporate Big Brand Name fatties in the area has had some issues while on rides. Crank arms falling off, freehubs seizing, chainring spiders breaking, numerous rear derailleur issues (usually damage, not breakage), bent bars, bent seatposts, shifter/brake lever breakage, etc. Even expensive bikes have expensive "high end" components fail. The only Corporate Big Brand Name that I am aware of that has had frame & fork issues is Surly, there may be others.
    Good luck. No matter where you decide to spend your money, riding a fattie will make you smile.

My apologies for adding my thoughts about buying a bike, I didn't think it would turn into such a sore subject.

Buy whatever you want, I will continue to spend my money locally for quality service and products. That in no way means I will look down on someone for their actions.

The most efficient and quick way I have found to learn a lesson, is to not take advice and to learn it the hard way. To each his own.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by badfish41 View Post
    My apologies for adding my thoughts about buying a bike, I didn't think it would turn into such a sore subject.

Buy whatever you want, I will continue to spend my money locally for quality service and products. That in no way means I will look down on someone for their actions.

The most efficient and quick way I have found to learn a lesson, is to not take advice and to learn it the hard way. To each his own.
    Hey I just wanted to take a minute to think a friend for his advice. Back in October November of last year I decided that I wanted to try a fat bike. So I posted up on this website and asked for advice from everybody on what they thought was the best route to go and a few people in particular really helped me out. I decided to go with the Pugsley made by surly and I bought it from my friend Phil Maess at bike n hike in rock island. It was probably the single most greatest thing that I've ever done. I just didn't know it yet. So far my bike has been through snow mud water and now indoors pretty much every type of terrain that I could throw at it. FORCers, I am in love with my Pugsley. So if you get itchy feeling and you're wondering if you should buy a fat bike don't ask any questions just go out and buy one and jump on it and start riding you'll be really happy that you did. Oh and one more thing, make sure you support your local bike shops! Thank you Bad Fish for your advice it is great advice, please at least give them a shot!