Quote Originally Posted by Tigris99 View Post
Don't want anyone shying away from the fun to be had in this club cause they didn't buy from lbs, so now they'll understand its ok, just show what support u can.
Its your money and how you decide to spend it is a very private matter, not to be judged by others.
Since your question was about low-budget fatties:
I did a TON of research before Christmas for getting the wife a fat bike.
Motobecane was a contender, Vittetoe is abusing one now and its holding up as fine as any other fattie.
The new Minnesota FRAMED fattie looks promising, a small MN business looking to compete w/the Corporate Big Brand Name fatties, and has decent build list w/extra wheelset for the cost.
I think I recall reading that the Norco Bigfoot weighs in at 42 lbs (hefty even by fattie standards), but unsure if that is true cuz I read it on the 'net.
The OnOne had potential, but looked to be bit higher price at that time.
Key Point -- pretty much all of us that own Corporate Big Brand Name fatties in the area has had some issues while on rides. Crank arms falling off, freehubs seizing, chainring spiders breaking, numerous rear derailleur issues (usually damage, not breakage), bent bars, bent seatposts, shifter/brake lever breakage, etc. Even expensive bikes have expensive "high end" components fail. The only Corporate Big Brand Name that I am aware of that has had frame & fork issues is Surly, there may be others.
Good luck. No matter where you decide to spend your money, riding a fattie will make you smile.