Thread: Need advise for summer plans

Default Need advise for summer plans

Things being what they are racing a season as excuse to ride trails around the region not going to work as I had hoped.

So im on to plan b, ride the races we host (for the fun obviously) and find a couple ones worth making a weekend out of. Of course I'll be trying to get in on a couple club road trips but that's tbd.

But stipulations apply. Gotta have in park camping with decent amenities and preferably some decent fishing. And more mellow climbing trails like scocopa and sbp as gotta be something my 7yr old can ride too.

Starting looking into sugarbottom and poking around info for Peoria trails.

Any specifics that you guys would recommend, max 2-3 drive time as I hate wasting a tone of my weekend driving :)

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk

Not many options with in-park camping available. If there were only 3 that I could travel to they would be: Farmdale Festival (camping), Chicago, and Wildlife Prarie. Avoid Jubilee if you don't want to climb, but there is camping there. Matthiessen is a super fun race and not very technical. Good amount of climbing at Sugarbottom, but there is camping.

A couple ppl me last year told me to ride mattheissen so may see if I can get that in too. Its just funds and time matters cause a few things I moved above my riding for priority. Racing a season for fun and to experience it will just be pushed back till 2015 is all.

Some climbing doesn't bother me but something like illiniwek is too much for the boy. After riding illiniwek myself I see why climbing is so worth it, the coming down part lol.

Being slim pickings on camping on site with trails, anything that has camping really close by

Blue Mounds has camping essentially right next to the trails, but isn't really kid friendly as there are big climbs and a lot of rocks.

Sugar bottom would be a decent option as they have the beginner loop for your boy to ride...the climbing on the green loops isn't too bad, but might be a bit much in spots. Camping is right next door.

Board Position
    President

Kettel Moraine in Wisconsin could be a good option. Camping is outstanding. There will be a short drive to the trail head regardless where you set up. Never the less I believe it would a good option. http://southernkettles.org
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.

Looks promising. Thnx AG. being waitimg to here this year roadtrip locations, hopefully doable for me, at least 1 anyway.

Trying.to find it on actual map is a bit of a challenge. Short car jogs to a trail head from camp isn't bad to me. Am surprised so many trailsets done in places without other things like camping and fishing.

Board Position
    President

You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.

Spring Lake Park in Macomb has a very nice campground with amenities and a nice fishing lake - I think they have boat rentals also. Some of the trail is pretty tough but some very fun parts - definitely worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vittetoe761 View Post
    Blue Mounds has camping essentially right next to the trails, but isn't really kid friendly as there are big climbs and a lot of rocks.
    Despite the technical nature of the trails, Blue Mound is a great spot for kids! The camping is good, They have an awesome swimming pool, there is a cave nearby, and there is a rail-to-trail option if the rocks are too much. My kids loved it there, and they dont even ride.

Damn i need a better job so I can have more time to hit all these myself lol. Each one I look at has me wanting to give a go.

So far only one im for sure on is sugar bottom,didn't realize where exactly that was, spent some weekends camping with family on that lake as a teen.

Now just one more, other ones hopefully I'll catch some group runs with you guys. Didn't realize there were so many trails within a couple hrs of here.