Thread: I AM FAT, Two - January 12

Default I AM FAT, Two - January 12

Yep, time for the second crack at Iowa's Annual Magestic Fat-ride Around Trueblood. Once again we're joining up with our friends from World of Bikes, Geoff's Bike and SKi, and Salsa Cycles to bring a Fatbike adventure that can't be beat. This year we'll have access to the new Terry Trueblood Lodge for our home base - very pimp! Fatbike demos will run from 9am to noon, with the solo or 3-person Enduro starting at noon. This year we'll run with the teams you organize in advance. If you don't get hooked up with a team, no worries: we'll get something setup to match people up before the enduro. Will provide updates when available.

Good times, ever'body gonna be there.
    Rg.

Haters gonna hate.

I'm in and already have a team. I'm confused, though. Is it a race?

It's as much of a race as you want to make it - my advice is to make it not so much of a race but more of a thinly veiled excuse to ride around in circles with a bunch of nuts on fatbikes. We will be scoring lap count - most laps completed in 3 hours "wins", if that's your thing. Otherwise, alternate laps with your pals, socialize in the manner that suits you most, and see who the real winners turn out to be.

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Sounds like fun. I'm sure the QC will represent well.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

Sorry Rage...that is the same weekend as the world championships of underwear knitting in Bratislava. I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    It's as much of a race as you want to make it - my advice is to make it not so much of a race but more of a thinly veiled excuse to ride around in circles with a bunch of nuts on fatbikes. We will be scoring lap count - most laps completed in 3 hours "wins", if that's your thing. Otherwise, alternate laps with your pals, socialize in the manner that suits you most, and see who the real winners turn out to be.

Rg.
    Thanks. That's what I thought.

Solo Class will return!
    Rg.

Haters gonna hate.

Repost from fb event page:

If you are reading this right now, you are at least intrigued by I AM FAT. I know there are a lot of questions surrounding the nature of the event, and how it runs. This "outline" should help clarify some things. Rest assured this event is FATTIE APPROVED and the aura of fun that includes will be prevalent in all aspects. It is a race. It is a ride. It is an event. It is FUN FUN FUN on SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!

Firstly, I want to thank everyone for being so dang awesome. This event was a highlight of my year last year and I can't wait to start 2014 on a great note. That being said- there are some changes this year, hopefully all for the better, and I've tailored this little manifesto as such.

You don't necessarily need a team or even a fat-bike to participate. If you don't bring your own fat-bike the only thing you CAN'T do is enter the solo category. At registration we will organize all the teams and get people together. *People who come with pre-formed teams can "preregister" by e-mailing adam.blake@worldofbikes.com with team members, bike size or sizes, and team name.* We will do our best to get everyone on a team, but can't guarantee that it will happen. Trust me- we will do EVERYTHING we can to get people out on the course. I want to encourage people who don't have a fat-bike, and may have never even ridden a fat-bike to attend- guaranteed you'll get your money's worth. The event is a measly $10 (covers the expense of renting the lodge, set-up and other little things.)and registration will be from 10:30-11:30 with the race starting at noon. Parking will be in the NORTHEAST parking lot. From 9-12 Salsa Cycles will be putting on a demo of their slew of fabulous fatties. The course will be open at that time for pre-riding, or just go dink around the rec area. The demo is FREE! The demo bikes are NOT GOING TO BE USED FOR THE EVENT SO DO NOT RELY ON THEM.

The course is approximately a mile and a half. It is comprised of trail, sand, jeep trail, brush, and others; it takes around 15 minutes on average, depending on snow conditions. People in the solo category can expect to ride anywhere between 15-20 miles depending on the conditions, and how hard they want to push themselves. Last year Charles, Dennis, and Craig put in over 40 miles- but they are super studs, someone challenge them! The course is designed somewhat like a cyclocross course with open, fast stretches and twisty, punchy sections. Don't be surprised if you are off of your bike once or twice per lap. One of the great things about the three person teams is that outside of the time frame and course, not much is set in stone. You can ride along side a teammate, 2,3,4 laps at a time, it could be 2-1-2, there is nothing to STOP you from riding. All that matters is that at least one bike with your team number on it keeps going around and around- no matter who is on top of it.

Food will be available on site thanks to Geoff's Bike and Ski with recommended donations. Bring your cash as all proceeds go to the Johnson County Youth Off Road Riders charity, who will be cooking up the food. Burgers, brats, sodas, cookies..you know-the good stuff- are on the menu. If burgers and brats don't fill you up, everyone is welcome to bring food of their own as well. Bring water or other beverages to quench your thirst. Technically we are on public land, and alcohol consumption is illegal on city property. Technically. We are working on a good way to have some adult beverages inside the lodge for FREE (well covered by the 10 bucks) Also, as always, please strive to pack everything out that you bring in; and then some.

For the sake of the team, please consider bringing or preinstalling platform pedals. If it works out for the team, people are more than welcome to utilize clipless pedals, but a good pair of boots and platform pedals are the go-to. The same can be said for pogies (bar-mitts). Not everyone is comfortable riding in pogies, and if you are actually racing- it wastes valuable time taking them off and putting them on. Again, everyone is more than welcome to use what they want as long as the team is happy. Of course, if time is of no concern to your team, then you can do whatever floats your boat. It's very easy to heat up doing just one lap. so consider bringing a riding jacket/hat as well as a social, more comfy one. Also we MUST REQUIRE ALL RIDERS TO WEAR A HELMET. That is just the way it is.

The start/finish line will be the sight of pit row, food, and Salsa Cycles demo truck. The lodge will provide an area to socialize between laps. We will have an expo of sorts, with numerous fat-bikes, cold weather riding gear, fat-components, and other goodies. The hand-off area will be on the patio on the south side of the building. Scoring will be done inside and we will have a scorekeeper this year. This area will also be a "no wake" area where ALL riders will have to slow down, and either tag out or continue on. Cheating is HIGHLY frowned upon, and if caught will result in a battle- Thunderdome style. Extravagant cheating will be tolerated case by case. If there is a tie situation it will be settled with Indian leg wrestling- best 2 of 3.
    Haters gonna hate.

Well I had fun. Definitely had an awesome drag race through the water/slush with Ray on my last lap!

That was a blast. Some of the most fun and interesting conditions I've ever fat biked in. Awesome course, amazing venue and fun people that I've grown to expect at a MW fat bike event. Watching people in front of me while racing falling over suddenly in the middle of a flat field was funny as hell. The 4' deep puddles, slush, mud and ruts made it a fat bike wonderland.

Thanks again to Rage, Fattie and all that help sponsor and organize the event. It's already on my calendar for next year.

As Ricky Bobby would say, it felt good to go fast again!
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

Echoing the comments above! That field area was one of the more treacherous areas of the course. Went down three times in the space of 200 feet near the crossover on my first lap.

I had a blast! Better than last year (a high bar), convinced us to do it again next year fo sho!

Thanks to everyone who came out!
    Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Wow. Many crash. Such fun.

Thanks again to Rage, Fattie, and the rest of the organizers. Had a freaking blast and I cannot walk properly today.

Board Position
    President

It was better than last year! That lodge is amazing. All the conditions a fat bike was made for. Not sure how my fat bikes came out cleaner than Squirrel and did. Puzzling.
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.

That was a great time, they did a great job with the event. As stated before the lodge was a HUGE upgrade, to be able to ride your lap and then go inside and stay warm was great. Great job by The Three Beardos on bringing home a championship, but I'm a little disappointed you guys couldn't put in more laps than the singles champion.

What a great Sunday Funday.

That event didn't suck one bit! My fat bike is all ready to get muddy again! Count me in for next year too! Hats off to fattie and all of the bad ass people that put I Am Fat together. Also I had a blast hangin out with all who attended! AG had me laughing all day because his moonlander didn't give a shit! Some really bad ass photos considering that you were racing to drew, that's awesome! I hope team ur momma can re-run next year!

Top female team was named "Red Rocket". Awesome. Going to try harder to make this next year.