Quote Originally Posted by nenninma View Post
I will check with Davenport Park and Rec tomorrow. I would guess they lean towards natural features that blend in with the surroundings.

Mark
FORC has always been committed to using natural materials for all of our trail projects - Loud Thunder, Sunderbruch Park, Scott County Park, and Illiniwek upcoming. This is a recommended practice from the IMBA Trail Solutions manual and a requirement to help limit our liability, as well as a request from our land managers.

A primary purpose of a park is to provide access to a natural environment, and the introduction of exposed materials like old tires takes away from that experience. Obviously, "natural materials" can have it's own interpretation. The following is a list of materials in decreasing order of "natural" that FORC uses for trails/technical features:

rocks/trees orginally from the area
imported rocks/logs
rough-cut planks
treated lumber

I know "imported rocks" sounds odd, but some land managers are quite sensitive to maintaining an environment that is appropriate for the area. For instance, they won't allow the use of white stone retaining wall structures if that type of white stone is not found naturally in that area.

The club is committed to adding safe and challenging technical features to our trails with land management approval. Since these features are typically seen as being "extreme" or potentially hazardous, we need to make an effort to keep them as natural as possible to help them blend in. Think out of sight, out of mind.

So, where does that leave us for the tractor tire obstacle...? The four trail systems listed above aren't good candidates, which would leave Sylvan Island as the only possible location within FORC's trail responsibilities. The Trail Stewards are meeting soon to discuss overall park management issues, and this will be a topic for them to decide how to go forward.

Give a holla if you have any questions!
Rg.