Thread: I need a tractor tire.................

Default I need a tractor tire.................

saw a skinny on the internet tried to steal the pic to upload here but wrong file type so it won't work.

the tire is burried half way in the ground with 2x12's or so for ramps up and down using the tire top for a crown. wanna build one somewhere, it was cool looking.........

if you have the inside scoop as to where to get REAR tires from a FARM TYPE tractors, pitch in.... post up or get in touch with me.
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

my first thought is famr and fleet the might have some used ones out back if you ask them or a john deer deal ship

Ya didn't see me do it. Ya can't prove it!

um duh, i guess i coulda done that.... yep that's it

thanks

I have two new tractor tires I need to put on my tractor. whenever I do you can have one or both of the old tires. I dont know when I will change them due to the fact that its a hard job and I don't know how, but when I do they are yours. If you know anyone that can help change them that would be great.

I'll take a look around tomorrow, I thought there was an old one someone had used for an old sandbox, or maybe it had a tree growing in the middle of it. Would it be ok if it was cut to get it off the tree?

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

I saw a large tractor tire sitting against a telephone pole in someones yard along HW-84 just before Hampton (coming from Silvis). It was still there today. Here is the precise location: link

drew, check that out, that's a ways away for me to check on it. if we can have it for sure, I'll go pick it up.

not sure about a cut one........ would think the ground would be holding most of the weight???

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Cool obstacle- I deal with quite a few farmers and I'd think the balder the better for starters, but then maybe another tire or two without boards, one shorter and one a ltiilte taller? hmmmm

We need some things to help us advance our skills since the riders who won't advance their skills keep taking out all the fun stuff- like the cool root/tree jump on stonehenge on Sylvan. That tree was alive and the trail was specifically put there to go over that as an obstacle and now it was all a wasted effort. Once again- A great technical trail is being dumbed down because of someones inability to ride and refusal to just skip the trail. Dumbing down the trails makes them faster for EVERYONE. Learning riding skills makes you faster COMPARED TO OTHERS. If you just want to go fast, why not just ride the paved paths? Sheesh I wish people who refuse to work on their own skills and want to go fast would ride the paved paths- we'd all be happier- and faster. :burnout:

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

I can get at least one maybe 2 or 3 from work and haul them wherever you want them. well, within reason.

t-bone, you would be tha man, and it really doesn't matter what park it would be put into by me really, i'll put it in anywhere, just wanna get it done and rideable. we can vote as to where to put it as far as i'm concerned.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

I talked to the person with the tire and they said we can have it. Pick it up whenever you want (before someone else gets it). You will need a truck of course.

Default Tires

I will check with Davenport Park and Rec tomorrow. I would guess they lean towards natural features that blend in with the surroundings.

Mark

What if you had several tires 3 to 4 feet apart with 2x6's connecting them a little below the high point of the tires so it was a little up and down. Just throwing that out there since it sounds like you may have several tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibrato View Post
    Cool obstacle- I deal with quite a few farmers and I'd think the balder the better for starters, but then maybe another tire or two without boards, one shorter and one a ltiilte taller? hmmmm
    I rode something similar to what he is suggesting. It was a blast! There were different levels of difficulty.
    They were mostly wider stiff tires and probably from big construction vehicles. Has anyone been to Bloomsbury Farm in Atkins? Anyway, if you had, they have a cool section for kids (or Really big kids :o) that has a bunch of these tires touching in a spiral line to walk on.

Back to my mtbking experienced...
    The easiest "skinny" started w/ the first one buried deep enough for a smooth transition from the ground to the tire, the second one was against it at about the same height. It was really fun and challenging.
    Ya didn't see me do it. Ya can't prove it!

we'll have to see what mark has found out first........ hope they would be down with it.. it would be sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by nenninma View Post
    I will check with Davenport Park and Rec tomorrow. I would guess they lean towards natural features that blend in with the surroundings.

Mark
    FORC has always been committed to using natural materials for all of our trail projects - Loud Thunder, Sunderbruch Park, Scott County Park, and Illiniwek upcoming. This is a recommended practice from the IMBA Trail Solutions manual and a requirement to help limit our liability, as well as a request from our land managers.

A primary purpose of a park is to provide access to a natural environment, and the introduction of exposed materials like old tires takes away from that experience. Obviously, "natural materials" can have it's own interpretation. The following is a list of materials in decreasing order of "natural" that FORC uses for trails/technical features:

rocks/trees orginally from the area
    imported rocks/logs
    rough-cut planks
    treated lumber

I know "imported rocks" sounds odd, but some land managers are quite sensitive to maintaining an environment that is appropriate for the area. For instance, they won't allow the use of white stone retaining wall structures if that type of white stone is not found naturally in that area.

The club is committed to adding safe and challenging technical features to our trails with land management approval. Since these features are typically seen as being "extreme" or potentially hazardous, we need to make an effort to keep them as natural as possible to help them blend in. Think out of sight, out of mind.

So, where does that leave us for the tractor tire obstacle...? The four trail systems listed above aren't good candidates, which would leave Sylvan Island as the only possible location within FORC's trail responsibilities. The Trail Stewards are meeting soon to discuss overall park management issues, and this will be a topic for them to decide how to go forward.

Give a holla if you have any questions!
    Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

when and where does a "freeride park" come into play in the FORC organization then? it seems that all we want to promote is FAST FLOWY SINGLETRACK and if it gets too technical, dumb it down, just like ray says. i am completely in agreement with the trails and systems that we support and maintain, but the younger generation is looking for "MORE."

I'm not trying to ruffle feathers or get into heated debates/arguments on what and where the club is doing. I am just a younger rider still looking for that NEXT LEVEL without having to travel to other clubs' trail to do so and there are plenty out there. I'd like to have them here, AT HOME BASE. Being a new FORC'n member, it's hard to know just what the "CLUB" wants or has tried in the past. FREERIDE is a huge genre (sp?) that I feel could bring MAJOR attention to our parks. MOST EVERYONE, or at least the ones I talk to, want to hit drops, hucks, dips, berms, obstacles, etc.

speak up, you are paying members of a club and you should have a voice in what is happening within that organization. if you want more and bigger, speak out. no personal attack intended here, just a bit of ranting and raving on my part.

for those that might have missed this, i just want to reitterate -

We need some things to help us advance our skills since the riders who won't advance their skills keep taking out all the fun stuff- like the cool root/tree jump on stonehenge on Sylvan. That tree was alive and the trail was specifically put there to go over that as an obstacle and now it was all a wasted effort. Once again- A great technical trail is being dumbed down because of someones inability to ride and refusal to just skip the trail. Dumbing down the trails makes them faster for EVERYONE. Learning riding skills makes you faster COMPARED TO OTHERS. If you just want to go fast, why not just ride the paved paths? Sheesh I wish people who refuse to work on their own skills and want to go fast would ride the paved paths- we'd all be happier- and faster. :burnout:
    Last edited by dru_b; 05-14-2009 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dru_b View Post
    when and where does a "freeride park" come into play in the FORC organization then? it seems that all we want to promote is FAST FLOWY SINGLETRACK and if it gets too technical, dumb it down, just like ray says. i am completely in agreement with the trails and systems that we support and maintain, but the younger generation is looking for "MORE."

I'm not trying to ruffle feathers or get into heated debates/arguments on what and where the club is doing. I am just a younger rider still looking for that NEXT LEVEL without having to travel to other clubs' trail to do so and there are plenty out there. I'd like to have them here, AT HOME BASE. Being a new FORC'n member, it's hard to know just what the "CLUB" wants or has tried in the past. FREERIDE is a huge genre (sp?) that I feel could bring MAJOR attention to our parks. MOST EVERYONE, or at least the ones I talk to, want to hit drops, hucks, dips, berms, obstacles, etc.

speak up, you are paying members of a club and you should have a voice in what is happening within that organization. if you want more and bigger, speak out. no personal attack intended here, just a bit of ranting and raving on my part.

for those that might have missed this, i just want to reitterate -
    There are two major obstacles (no pun intended) to overcome when considering building a FREERIDE park (or any park for that matter):

1) INSURANCE
    2) LAND MANAGERS

Neither of those things have anything specifically to do with FORC or what the membership of FORC have to say about the subject. I would hope that nobody actually feels like they don't have a voice in the club, and if they do, I would urge them to contact Rage or AG (president and vice president respectively). Remember, just because your idea doesn't come to fruition, doesn't mean you didn't have a voice...

-Sj

Quote Originally Posted by dru_b View Post
    FORC doesn't specifically have a "freeride park" purpose, but (as noted above) we are definitely interested in providing additional challenging options via well design technical features. Ray was commenting about unauthorized trail modification - that root was not removed as part of a FORC sanctioned maintenance activity.

We also must remember that we are essentially guests at each of these parks, and must work with the land managers to gain approval for freeride-type features. And we are doing that, but it takes time. With the few features developed at Sunderbruch, we've been able to demonstrate to the Davenport Parks Dept that technical features do have a place in their trail systems.

It takes time man, and we've already made good progress over the past few years. We certainly don't want to jeopardize the progress we've made by building whatever, wherever we want. And it's not just the younger generation who's looking for "MORE", many of us geezers are there as well.

Rg.

ps. regarding the club purpose, this is listed in our bylaws:

The primary purposes for which the corporation is formed are:
    a. To build, improve, and maintain the mountain bike trails in the Quad Cities area.

b. To take appropriate actions to prevent the ecological degradation of the lands touched by the trail and the trail users, including influencing trail closure decisions and enforcement of trail closures, subject to the authority of the land manager.

c. To organize competitive events and group rides.

d. To promote mountain biking in general and open access to other trail systems wherever they may be found, with particular emphasis on developing the mountain bike trail system in the immediate Quad Cities area.
    Haters gonna hate.

all good points and well taken by myself. i understand the whole idea. i know EVEYRONE has their own ideas and not all can be put to use. I am here to work WITH FORC, not against.

thanks and have a great day.

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Since I'm fairly vocal with my frustration at the continual dumbing down of our trails, I wanna say i am in complete agreement with Rage on this one, although we all vary by a few degrees here and there with our interpretations. For instance:

d. To promote mountain biking in general and open access to other trail systems wherever they may be found, with particular emphasis on developing the mountain bike trail system in the immediate Quad Cities area.

To promote mountain biking in general doesn't necessarily mean that if someone-club member or not, is going to do something that might jeapordize our current access, then we can't support it even if the action is "for mountain bikers."

However- the point that we have to go to other trail systems to work on our technical skills should not be lost in the shuffle here. If we take a pic of the tire obstacle to a land manager and say "by the way, just out of curiousity, some the hard cores were wondering if you'd allow this to the side of one of the black diamonds?" if the land manager says ok, then we need to check with our insurance, and if they say ok- for the love of sweet two wheeled fun we should put it in!

2 problems with Sylvan although I'd be willing to give it a try- 1st, it's double tough to bury anything on Sylvan, 2nd, tires make great bon fires when your underage drinkin and smokin on a saturday night. I'm just sayin...

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

...tires make great bon fires when your underage drinkin and smokin on a saturday night. I'm just sayin...

Backyard Tire Fire, I love that band!

Rg.

ps. yah, good point about burying something at Sylvan, not a good place to hide a body. I'm just sayin...
    Haters gonna hate.