Thread: Phoenix, AZ

Default Phoenix, AZ

I GET to go to Arizona over Thanksgiving to visit the in-laws. I'm thinking that there might be one day that I could break away and go for a ride. Have any of you FORCers been there and I will only be able to hit one trail, which one should I hit?

Jim Ghys is the man to ask.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

South Mountain has some pretty fun stuff and extremely hard stuff too and its in the city, if you're looking for more natural trails the White Tank Mountains were my personal favorite, they are west of Glendale but the drive is nice and the trails were often empty.

+1 for South Mountain. I can't remember which side of Phoenix it's on though.
    "Coach says I've got the heart of a champion and legs of a spectator"

+1 for S mountain, that would be your narliest trails near town
    trail 100 is an easy desert roll right in town. Ride to the mountain park and then climb Squaw Peak.
    Mcdowell Mtn park has tons of trails (near fountain hills) including the old cactus cup race course. But I would skip the race course and head into the hills.
    I haven't been there yet but rumor has it the Black Canyon section of the Arizona trail (NW of the city) is fantastic. It looks like you can ride a 15 mile lollipop from a trail head just off us17.
    Cave Creek area has trails, dynamite trail is ok. But it does have the brewery, so there's that.

You really can't go wrong riding anywhere in the desert, be sure to take water, 2 tubes and, we find tequila works better than whiskey in the big sandbox that is Phoenix. Lot's of Beach No Ocean
    have fun