Thread: Revival

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

I am pretty sure that everyone is in favor of pursuing this project (I am). There are significant obstacles we are going to need to overcome though to do it.

Such as:
    • Obtain 501.C3 (federal tax exempt) status so we are eligible for a larger number of grants (almost all grants I have come across require this as a prerequisite). The expenses we are going to incur from the project will be significantly greater than what we have dealt with before and we are going to need to find more avenues to obtain funding.
    • Wrap up major projects at other trail systems so we can focus our efforts on LT. I think Sundebruch has some projects in the works, Westbrook is still an ongoing project (and will be for a few years), Illiniwek has a few minor projects left, Sylvan is going to need a bunch of work to reestablish the trails once the new bridge is completed, and Scott County Park has a skills park that needs built. We already have a lot on our plate that needs to be addressed before starting another project.
    • Increase manpower. Whether that means using machines or recruiting other groups to help, we will definitly need more muscle to complete this project in a reasonable amount of time.
    • Serious commitments from those who want to be involved, our membership base, and the local community. The project will fail if only a handful of people are expected to do all the work.

That being said, I am willing to be one of the core people for this project when the time comes.

As far as using machines, we would need to demonstrate that machine built trail would not have significant impacts on the flora/fauna or natural aspect of the the property as it is intended to be a Forest Preserve.
    Last edited by DH001; 11-06-2013 at 06:15 PM.